From: Ant on
Hello.

I am trying to install Windows XP cleanly onto an used Dell Inspiron
Mini (no idea what model it is; do not have its boxes, manuals, discs,
etc.), but its installation keeps failing at cdrom0\i386\asms. The error
said it cannot find it, but it is there on the CDs (tried slipstreamed
SP2 and SP3, other brands, other burns from other software and drives,
etc.). I have to install from an external CD/DVD drive.

I researched on Google, and it seems like this a common problem (error
message) but none of their suggestions worked. One interesting
suggestion was to press shift-F10 keys when the error occurs so I did
that to bring up a command prompt/cmd.exe. From here, to do registry
edits with regedit but regedit.exe fails to run (not installed yet I
think). I also couldn't find the drive (only found the HDD). It seems
like during the blue text installer, the drive exists but after
rebooting to GUI installer, it forgot the external USB CD/DVD drive?

I cannot make a new partition/drive, to install from another drive on
the same HDD) because the netbook only has 7 GB excluding its 100 MB
system drive (Dell stuff).

I had no problems installing Windows 7 though. Any ideas? Thank you in
advance. :)
--
"He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: S�bastien Tellier -
Divine
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Is there a hidden Recovery partition?

From: BillW50 on
In news:uzCSpMCOKHA.220(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Ant typed on Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:44:58 -0700:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to install Windows XP cleanly onto an used Dell Inspiron
> Mini (no idea what model it is; do not have its boxes, manuals, discs,
> etc.), but its installation keeps failing at cdrom0\i386\asms. The
> error said it cannot find it, but it is there on the CDs (tried
> slipstreamed SP2 and SP3, other brands, other burns from other
> software and drives, etc.). I have to install from an external CD/DVD
> drive...

Windows XP will not completely install from an USB drive unless it is
SP2 or higher. So slipstreaming to at least SP2 would be a good thing to
do. Did you try with nLite yet? It is pretty easy, but requires .NET20
to be installed on the machine that you use to make the slipstream. Does
this help?

As a side note: Windows 2000 requires SP4 to be successfully installed
from USB.

--
Bill
Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)

From: LVTravel on

"Ant" <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to install Windows XP cleanly onto an used Dell Inspiron Mini
> (no idea what model it is; do not have its boxes, manuals, discs, etc.),
> but its installation keeps failing at cdrom0\i386\asms. The error said it
> cannot find it, but it is there on the CDs (tried slipstreamed SP2 and
> SP3, other brands, other burns from other software and drives, etc.). I
> have to install from an external CD/DVD drive.
>
> I researched on Google, and it seems like this a common problem (error
> message) but none of their suggestions worked. One interesting suggestion
> was to press shift-F10 keys when the error occurs so I did that to bring
> up a command prompt/cmd.exe. From here, to do registry edits with regedit
> but regedit.exe fails to run (not installed yet I think). I also couldn't
> find the drive (only found the HDD). It seems like during the blue text
> installer, the drive exists but after rebooting to GUI installer, it
> forgot the external USB CD/DVD drive?
>
> I cannot make a new partition/drive, to install from another drive on the
> same HDD) because the netbook only has 7 GB excluding its 100 MB system
> drive (Dell stuff).
>
> I had no problems installing Windows 7 though. Any ideas? Thank you in
> advance. :)
> --
> "He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
> ( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
> Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: S�bastien Tellier -
> Divine

Where did you get the XP install CD? If it is branded with a manufacturer's
name it may be bios locked to a particular model computer. If OEM it can't
legally be transferred either to another machine.

From: Ant on
Yes, 100 MB. Why? Is that a problem?

On 9/17/2009 11:07 PM PT, PA Bear [MS MVP] typed:

> Is there a hidden Recovery partition?
--
"It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and
Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Make a Windows XP Startup