From: Claire on
Hello,
If I have a variable declared as Long:

Dim RingCount as Long

can I do this:
RingCount = Int((Timer - StartDial) / 2)
or should I do this:
RingCount = Abs((Timer - StartDial) / 2)
or do this:
RingCount = (Timer - StartDial) \ 2

Which one will be the best approach?

Thanks,
Claire

From: Bee on

Well, I would not use Timer since it rolls over at midnight.

Then (also) using Abs() might give you a really bad number if you use Timer.

And what is StartDial declared as?

Timer returns a Single according to Help.

From: Claire on
I am not concerned about Timer rolling over at midnight

StartDial is declared as Single.

From: MikeD on

"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Well, I would not use Timer since it rolls over at midnight.

Depends on what she's using it for. A "midnight rollover" might never be an
issue.

> Then (also) using Abs() might give you a really bad number if you use
> Timer.

How so? As far as I can see, using Abs would not cause a runtime error. It
might result in erroneous data, but not enough info provided to say if it
would or not.

From: MikeD on

"Claire" <replyto(a)fra> wrote in message
> Hello,
> If I have a variable declared as Long:
>
> Dim RingCount as Long
>
> can I do this:
> RingCount = Int((Timer - StartDial) / 2)
> or should I do this:
> RingCount = Abs((Timer - StartDial) / 2)
> or do this:
> RingCount = (Timer - StartDial) \ 2
>
> Which one will be the best approach?

What is that you're ultimately wanting? You can do any of those 3 things,
but without knowing the ultimate goal, it's impossible to tell you which of
those 3 choices, or something else, would be best.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Newsreader Mayhem!
Next: Terminating an endless loop