From: Bee on
I am using Windows Live as my newsreader for M$. (yes, I am at Eternal
September too).
I have WL set to download all headers and bodies.

BUT, when M$ removes a newsgroup, it also seems to delete all my downloaded
headers and bodies.
Is that normal?
Can that be stopped?
Where is the data being saved on my disk so that I might retain/hide/copy it?

Am I wrong or is M$ messing with my computer without my consent.
Hope the EU gets wind of this.

From: David Kaye on
=?Utf-8?B?QmVl?= <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>BUT, when M$ removes a newsgroup, it also seems to delete all my downloaded
>headers and bodies.
>Is that normal?
>Can that be stopped?

I'm not sure what's going on with you, and I can't duplicate it wince I don't
have your newsreader. All I can say is that with News Xpress, all the past
messages Eternal-September is supposed to hold are being held. I can go back
and pull them in with no problem.

From: Mayayana on
I'm using OE and find that when a group goes offline
it's automatically removed and deleted, as you describe.
That's rather odd. But I'm still hooked up with the MS
server. Maybe the solution is to stick with ES and
remove the MS server settings altogether.

From: dpb on
Bee wrote:
> I am using Windows Live as my newsreader for M$. (yes, I am at Eternal
> September too).
> I have WL set to download all headers and bodies.
>
> BUT, when M$ removes a newsgroup, it also seems to delete all my downloaded
> headers and bodies.
> Is that normal?
> Can that be stopped?
> Where is the data being saved on my disk so that I might retain/hide/copy it?
>
> Am I wrong or is M$ messing with my computer without my consent.
> Hope the EU gets wind of this.

Don't have a clue about "Windows Live" (can't say ever heard of it
before, even).

But, my guess would be it isn't downloading in the sense of copying but
only simply for viewing so when the source goes away so does the
apparent data.

Just my guess...

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I am using Windows Live as my newsreader for M$. (yes, I am at Eternal
> September too).
> I have WL set to download all headers and bodies.
>
> BUT, when M$ removes a newsgroup, it also seems to delete all my downloaded
> headers and bodies.
> Is that normal?
> Can that be stopped?
> Where is the data being saved on my disk so that I might retain/hide/copy it?
>
> Am I wrong or is M$ messing with my computer without my consent.
> Hope the EU gets wind of this.

Bee, I use Windows Mail on Vista.
I'm using news.microsoft.com,
news.eternal-september.org, and
nntp.aioe.org

And yes, when M$ removes a newsgroup all the headers and bodies
are gone. But just when connected to news.microsoft.com.
If I then switch to eternal-september they are there again, all marked
as unread however. :-(

Helmut.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3