From: Jason Blevins on
The Fortran Forum's status table for Fortran 2003 support for Intel
seems to be somewhat dated. According to Intel's article on Fortran
Language Standards [1] from June 2009, the following are supported in
version 11.1 but are still listed as not supported in the table:

* Deferred bindings and abstract types
* Type-bound procedures
* ABSTRACT attribute
* DEFERRED attribute

I've verified this by compiling some simple example programs using
these features. So, it seems to me that the following rows in the
Intel column should have a "Y" instead of an "N":

* Procedures bound by name to a type
* Deferred bindings and abstract types

I'm happy to contact Ian (if he's not reading this already) but I
wanted to get some independent verification first, just in case I'm
misunderstanding something. Perhaps someone knows of other rows that
should be updated as well?

[1]: http://sdf.org/l/c43

--
Jason R. Blevins
Assistant Professor of Economics
From: Paul van Delst on
From the "in depth" info for ifort v11.1:
http://software.intel.com/sites/products/collateral/hpc/compilers/flin_indepth.pdf
which I found searching for "ifort f2003"

<quote>
More Fortran 2003 Support:
Additional support includes object-oriented features
such as CLASS declaration, SELECT TYPE constant,
inheritance association, and more. Other additions
support deferred-length character entities, PUBLIC
types with PRIVATE components (and vice versa),
ENUMERATOR, IEEE Floating Point Exception
Handling, ALLOCATE extensions, array constructor
changes, and more to bring your Fortran apps
closer to the standard. These join C interoperability
features introduced in the last release to make it
easier to develop mixed-language applications.
</quote>

I guess the features in question fall into the "and more" category?

From: Ian on
On Aug 11, 3:50 pm, Jason Blevins <jrble...(a)sdf.org> wrote:
> The Fortran Forum's status table for Fortran 2003 support for Intel
> seems to be somewhat dated.  According to Intel's article on Fortran
> Language Standards [1] from June 2009, the following are supported in
> version 11.1 but are still listed as not supported in the table:
>
> * Deferred bindings and abstract types
> * Type-bound procedures
> * ABSTRACT attribute
> * DEFERRED attribute
>
> I've verified this by compiling some simple example programs using
> these features.  So, it seems to me that the following rows in the
> Intel column should have a "Y" instead of an "N":
>
> * Procedures bound by name to a type
> * Deferred bindings and abstract types
>
> I'm happy to contact Ian (if he's not reading this already) but I
> wanted to get some independent verification first, just in case I'm
> misunderstanding something.  Perhaps someone knows of other rows that
> should be updated as well?
>
> [1]:http://sdf.org/l/c43
>
> --
> Jason R. Blevins
> Assistant Professor of Economics
> Ohio State Universityhttp://jblevins.org/

Thanks for bringing this up.

> * Procedures bound by name to a type

should be partial.

I'll correct in the next edition.

> * Deferred bindings and abstract types

The information I use for the Intel entry
is provided by one of the compiler team
at Intel, Stan Whitlock. I should have changed
no to partial in the entry above, but missed it
in the last update.

The other is still no as far as I can determine.
I'm on holiday at the moment and don't have complete
access to my records.

Most of the information in the table comes from compiler people
rather than their web pages.

I'll get back with an update when I get home.

cheers

Ian Chivers
From: Jason Blevins on
On 2010-08-12, Ian <ian_d_chivers(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 3:50 pm, Jason Blevins <jrble...(a)sdf.org> wrote:
>> The Fortran Forum's status table for Fortran 2003 support for Intel
>> seems to be somewhat dated.  According to Intel's article on Fortran
>> Language Standards [1] from June 2009, the following are supported in
>> version 11.1 but are still listed as not supported in the table:
>>
>> * Deferred bindings and abstract types
>> * Type-bound procedures
>> * ABSTRACT attribute
>> * DEFERRED attribute
>>
>> I've verified this by compiling some simple example programs using
>> these features.  So, it seems to me that the following rows in the
>> Intel column should have a "Y" instead of an "N":
>>
>> * Procedures bound by name to a type
>> * Deferred bindings and abstract types
>>
>> I'm happy to contact Ian (if he's not reading this already) but I
>> wanted to get some independent verification first, just in case I'm
>> misunderstanding something.  Perhaps someone knows of other rows that
>> should be updated as well?
>>
>> [1]:http://sdf.org/l/c43
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.
>
>> * Procedures bound by name to a type
>
> should be partial.
>
> I'll correct in the next edition.
>
>> * Deferred bindings and abstract types
>
> The information I use for the Intel entry
> is provided by one of the compiler team
> at Intel, Stan Whitlock. I should have changed
> no to partial in the entry above, but missed it
> in the last update.
>

> The other is still no as far as I can determine.
> I'm on holiday at the moment and don't have complete
> access to my records.

The abstract type, deferred binding example on page 284 of MR&C
compiles without issue for me, so perhaps there is at least partial
support now? I didn't go as far as to write a full test program
though, so I can't verify that it works as expected.

> Most of the information in the table comes from compiler people
> rather than their web pages.
>
> I'll get back with an update when I get home.

I appreciate your efforts in maintaining these very useful tables!
Not having any inside information, it's hard to distinguish P from Y
on my end (since a single working example doesn't imply full support,
nor does a list of features on the website), so thanks for taking a
closer look at these.