From: Vincenzo Mercuri on
Hi all,

any suggestion for a good book (and reference) on Fortran 2003?

A hasty search on google lead to 3 main results:

1. The Fortran 2003 Handbook: The Complete Syntax, Features and
Procedures - by Richard E. Maine, Jeanne C. Adams et al.

2. Fortran 95/2003 Explained (Numerical Mathematics and Scientific
Computation) - by Michael Metcalf, John Reid and Malcolm Cohen.

3. Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists & Engineers - by Stephen Chapman.

Which one would you suggest to me?
(I have a (nearly) 1 year experience in C programming,
no experience in Fortran.)

What about some good online resources?

What about the Standard 2003? is it freely available?

Thank you very much.

--
Vincenzo Mercuri
From: Ron Shepard on
In article <MqudnUZ4mN7_Vv_RnZ2dnUVZ8o45AAAA(a)giganews.com>,
Vincenzo Mercuri <comp(a)lang.c> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> any suggestion for a good book (and reference) on Fortran 2003?
>
> A hasty search on google lead to 3 main results:
>
> 1. The Fortran 2003 Handbook: The Complete Syntax, Features and
> Procedures - by Richard E. Maine, Jeanne C. Adams et al.
>
> 2. Fortran 95/2003 Explained (Numerical Mathematics and Scientific
> Computation) - by Michael Metcalf, John Reid and Malcolm Cohen.
>
> 3. Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists & Engineers - by Stephen Chapman.
>
> Which one would you suggest to me?

I would recommend (2) first to learn how to use the language, and
then (1) if you need a reference manual. I have both, and that is
pretty much the way I use the two books.

$.02 -Ron Shepard
From: baf on

#3 is a college textbook written by someone who uses Fortran in private
industry. It is really one of the few classic textbooks on "modern"
Fortran (95/2003) currently available.

From: Paul van Delst on
baf wrote:
> On 8/11/2010 9:10 AM, Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:
[snip]

>> 3. Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists & Engineers - by Stephen Chapman.
>>
>> Which one would you suggest to me?
>> (I have a (nearly) 1 year experience in C programming,
>> no experience in Fortran.)

[snip]

> #3 is a college textbook written by someone who uses Fortran in private
> industry. It is really one of the few classic textbooks on "modern"
> Fortran (95/2003) currently available.

With the caveat that C-interop is not covered at all in the Chapman book. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I
just went through my copy again to doublecheck and could not find it covered.

If I am correct, and not suffering from a peculiar form of domestic blindness, it's a rather glaring omission for a
Fortran book that includes "2003" in the title and is targeted towards scientists and engineers (who tend to deal with a
hodge-podge of codes in different languages).

For what is covered there are a lot of complete examples, though, which is good.

cheers,

paulv
From: baf on
On 8/11/2010 1:11 PM, Paul van Delst wrote:
> baf wrote:
>> On 8/11/2010 9:10 AM, Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>>> 3. Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists& Engineers - by Stephen Chapman.
>>>
>>> Which one would you suggest to me?
>>> (I have a (nearly) 1 year experience in C programming,
>>> no experience in Fortran.)
>>>
> [snip]
>>
>> #3 is a college textbook written by someone who uses Fortran in private
>> industry. It is really one of the few classic textbooks on "modern"
>> Fortran (95/2003) currently available.
>
> With the caveat that C-interop is not covered at all in the Chapman book. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I
> just went through my copy again to doublecheck and could not find it covered.
>
> If I am correct, and not suffering from a peculiar form of domestic blindness, it's a rather glaring omission for a
> Fortran book that includes "2003" in the title and is targeted towards scientists and engineers (who tend to deal with a
> hodge-podge of codes in different languages).
>
> For what is covered there are a lot of complete examples, though, which is good.
>
> cheers,
>
> paulv

Correct, C-interop is not covered in the Chapman book, however it does
do a good job on most new Fortran 2003 features. In my view, none of
the available reference books on Fortran cover C-interop in a way that
an experienced Fortran programmer, but novice C programmer can make
heads-nor-tails of the topic.