From: Vincenzo Mercuri on
Ron Shepard wrote:
> In article<MqudnUZ4mN7_Vv_RnZ2dnUVZ8o45AAAA(a)giganews.com>,
> Vincenzo Mercuri<comp(a)lang.c> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> any suggestion for a good book (and reference) on Fortran 2003?
>>
>> A hasty search on google lead to 3 main results:
>>
>> 1. The Fortran 2003 Handbook: The Complete Syntax, Features and
>> Procedures - by Richard E. Maine, Jeanne C. Adams et al.
>>
>> 2. Fortran 95/2003 Explained (Numerical Mathematics and Scientific
>> Computation) - by Michael Metcalf, John Reid and Malcolm Cohen.
>>
>> 3. Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists& Engineers - by Stephen Chapman.
>>
>> Which one would you suggest to me?
>
> I would recommend (2) first to learn how to use the language, and
> then (1) if you need a reference manual. I have both, and that is
> pretty much the way I use the two books.

So, after reading the other posts my understanding is that
these books are really the most widely read, at least when
it comes to Fortran 2003. Thanks.

--
Vincenzo Mercuri
From: baf on
On 8/11/2010 6:08 PM, Uno wrote:
> baf wrote:
>
>> #3 is a college textbook written by someone who uses Fortran in
>> private industry. It is really one of the few classic textbooks on
>> "modern" Fortran (95/2003) currently available.
>>

> Really? What makes it classic?
not as in quality or "rating", but as in style.
From: baf on
On 8/11/2010 9:10 AM, Vincenzo Mercuri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> any suggestion for a good book (and reference) on Fortran 2003?
>
> A hasty search on google lead to 3 main results:
>
> 1. The Fortran 2003 Handbook: The Complete Syntax, Features and
> Procedures - by Richard E. Maine, Jeanne C. Adams et al.
>
> 2. Fortran 95/2003 Explained (Numerical Mathematics and Scientific
> Computation) - by Michael Metcalf, John Reid and Malcolm Cohen.
>
> 3. Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists & Engineers - by Stephen Chapman.
>
> Which one would you suggest to me?
> (I have a (nearly) 1 year experience in C programming,
> no experience in Fortran.)
>
> What about some good online resources?
>
> What about the Standard 2003? is it freely available?
>

> Thank you very much.

You might also look at "Guide to Fortran 2003 Programming by Walter
Brainerd. It is much different then any of the other three and might be
a good choice for somebody with a strong programming background in C
trying to learn Fortran as the material is presented is a semi-tutorial
style.
From: Vincenzo Mercuri on
baf wrote:

> You might also look at "Guide to Fortran 2003 Programming by Walter
> Brainerd. It is much different then any of the other three and might be
> a good choice for somebody with a strong programming background in C
> trying to learn Fortran as the material is presented is a semi-tutorial
> style.

That's great. This is a precious information I was looking for.
Thank you.

--
Vincenzo Mercuri
From: rudra on
On Aug 12, 11:34 am, Vincenzo Mercuri <c...(a)lang.c> wrote:
If you are still looking for ans, I may suggest you one thing. I have
all of them with me, and as i have realized, you better take a bottom-
top approach in your list.
Begin with Chapman's as it is most ilaborate, with lots of example and
tips(though you may not be willing to abide by them to the point)

MRC is THE CLASSIC in my opinion, but its concise and can be best
served if you already have some experience.

Handbook is, again in my opinion, is good, but may give a tough time
to the beginner.

you may also look for "Computing for scientists: principles of
programming with Fortran 90 and C++" by by R. J. Barlow and A. R.
Barnett. Its not detailed....but good one. very precise description
about pointers.