From: Brett Davis on
> It was a weak post about a weak article with a quote that Intel will deny.
> But there are perhaps important points hiding in plain sight here.
>
> As pointed out that GPU on Sandy Bridge was huge for Intel, the size
> of three CPUs in 32nm, and the expected performance is down in the
> mid range where ATI/NVidia sell cut down half or quarter GPUs at 45nm.
>
> What is the compute density of Intel's GPUs? Same as NVidia or Half of NVidia's?
> Which is half of ATIs, and we know how ATI has been kicking NVidia
> around the block for the past year.
>
> Before Intel had the excuse that their GPU was on the North bridge using
> a previous fab generation. How good or bad is the GPU design Intel uses?
>
> Global Foundries is talking about quadrupling fab capacity in the next ~3 years.
> To fill those fabs GF will have to either put all the independent fabs
> in Taiwan out of business, or take half of Intels hide, or fail...
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20100308125819_ATIC_to_Increase_Stake_in_Globalfoundries.html
>
> Of course originally Dresden was to be at 60,000 wafers by now,
> but then Core2 happened. ;)

I forgot that Global Foundries bought Chartered Semiconductor, so
Global Foundries will only triple fab capacity in ~three years, not quadruple. ;)
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=LD01MQDSHB5THQE1GHPCKHWATMY32JVN?articleID=223800027

They sound serious, and have apparently put money on the table for the equipment.

Having ridden AMD stock from $40 to $2 has made me wary, Bulldozer will not
have serious volumes for ~2 years, that is how long Phenom took to make volumes.
I did not think PhenomII and AthlonII were good enough to take share from Core2.

What am I missing?

Brett