From: Tim Prince on
On 2/7/2010 4:38 PM, News user wrote:

> So, is there any difference in the computation speed between the 32-
> bit or 64-bit?
> If not, for me it is easier to use the 32-bit software (linux/intel
> fortran) since I also have
> older 32-bit machines.

Assuming you don't write anything big enough to take advantage of the
larger 64-bit addressing space, the answer is application dependent.
Sometimes, compilers will perform more optimizations for 64-bit mode, on
account of less tight space requirements, as well as the large number of
registers available. There are a few performance bugs in ifort, where
either of 32- or 64-bit mode is unnecessarily slow. 64-bit mode is
prevalent enough that more goes into optimizing compilers and libraries
for it.
There is no way you will be satisfied with the performance of a 9 year
old 32-bit CPU in comparison with the new one.
From: Tim Prince on