From: Carlie Coats on
Tim Prince wrote:
> On 2/7/2010 4:38 PM, News user wrote:
>
>> So, is there any difference in the computation speed between the 32-
>> bit or 64-bit?
>> If not, for me it is easier to use the 32-bit software (linux/intel
>> fortran) since I also have
>> older 32-bit machines.
>
> Assuming you don't write anything big enough to take advantage of the
> larger 64-bit addressing space, the answer is application dependent.
> Sometimes, compilers will perform more optimizations for 64-bit mode, on
> account of less tight space requirements, as well as the large number of
> registers available...

Our experience is that the extra registers/opcodes etc have a
significant (>10%) effect on the kind of scientific (environmental-
modeling) codes run by my group.

Additionally, extra RAM for I/O buffering may speed up processes
significantly: some benchmarks we've run show a 20% speedup going
from 8GB RAM to 32GB on an 8-core machine -- and that for a
meteorology model with a working set of only 1.6 GB, *far* under
either RAM size.

-- Carlie Coats