From: Sebastian Kaliszewski on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On Aug 5, 10:49 am, Sebastian Kaliszewski
> <s.bez_sp...(a)remove.this.informa.and.that.pl> wrote:
>> Robert Myers wrote:
>>> You left out the part where the federal government is dictating
>>> details of technology (PCI-X for six years).
>> So what?
>>
>>> Good news for fanboys. For the industry? For real consumers? What a
>>> joke.
>> Yes of course, monopolistic practices are good for customes -- according
>> to Robert Myers
>>

> And you don't think the FTC and the European Commission are
> monopolies?

As any other government agencies. Government has monopoly by its very
nature.

> Really, Sebastian, what's written in your history books
> about the miracles of government-planned businesses and all the
> munificent benefits they bestow through the intrusive exercise of
> power?

And what's written in qyour history books about miracles of many
(competing) goverments over the same territory?

Or if you didn't notice neither EC nor FTC run business.

\SK
--
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" -- L. Lang
From: Sebastian Kaliszewski on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On Aug 5, 10:13 am, Intel Guy <In...(a)Guy.com> wrote:
>> Robert Myers full-quoted:
>>
>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20012636-64.html
>>> "We cannot simply assume that the settlement equates to a victory
>>> for consumers,"
>> Would doing nothing and allowing Intel to continue to strong-arm
>> customers have been better for consumers?
>
> I should have quoted the rest:
>
> <quote>
>
> Wright sees other potential problems. "This settlement has the FTC
> getting itself involved in Intel's business arrangements, competitive
> strategy, and even product design at a remarkably deep level," he
> said, expressing concern about government micromanagement of Intel
> business practices.
>
> </quote>
>
> It's a very bad precedent and, yes, it would have been better to have
> done nothing, if the something included having bureaucrats and lawyers
> micromanage a business, especially a high-technology business.

Oh. If you didn't notice it's a settelemnt. IOW Intel agreed to that
conditions. Intel still had a choice to go to court -- if everything was
all right as you portray they should fear not. Or, maybe the chance of
unfavourable judgement was real, as not everything was all right?

\SK
From: Jim on
"Intel Guy" <Intel(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> Intel should be forced to support PCIe for 12 years - not 6.
Windows requires a PCI bus so that alone will keep from going anywhere.

From: Robert Myers on
On Aug 6, 1:45 am, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

> They'll be real alright, but probably in another decade or so. Intel is
> showing off science projects hoping people will wait for them to become
> real products and ignore actual current solutions. Remember the wireless
> laptop recharging system that Intel showed off in an IDF a couple of
> years back? That's otherwise known as a Tesla coil, and looks like it's
> something that came out of a steampunk design from the 19th century.
> Intel is just entertaining people, not really providing real solutions
> to anything.

If there are actual "solutions," they are of limited usefulness. The
ability of processors to crunch data has begun to stress the ability
of wires even theoretically to deliver data to them fast enough.
GPU's used for computation will make the situation even worse, as will
the planned addition of vector processors to x86.

The world you imagine for computers is a disappearing mirage. The
concentration of capital required to advance the technology means that
there will be fewer players, and, aside from token competition,
essentially only one player, at least for now.

From my perspective, there is really only one problem left: how to get
the data there fast enough. What's left of processor design is how to
find ways to tolerate (hide) even more latency than processors now
can. The rest of the problem is all about interconnect, and the
solution isn't going to come in the form of electrons.

If AMD (or IBM/AMD) has the resources to move us forward on those
issues, then I'm interested. If not, then, as far as I'm concerned,
it's only an internecine struggle that wastes resources to no one's
benefit.

I really couldn't care less about how cheaply you can buy processors
for your next home-brew experiment, and I don't think the government
should, either.

At the somewhat less-than-cutting-edge, the story is probably quite
different. Most people can't use the muscle that is available at
affordable prices now, and there will be lots of players who can
produce "good enough" processors that don't rely on licenses from
Intel.

Were I Intel, I'd be *much* more worried about ARM than about AMD.
That doesn't even account for the fact that China has both the capital
and the engineering expertise to do more or less whatever it wants,
independent of both Intel *and* ARM.

Aside from optical interconnects, this entire thread has been about
yesterday's news.

Robert.
From: Robert Myers on
On Aug 6, 6:11 pm, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> What this is supposed to be a form of derision from you? News is always
> about yesterday's news.
>
> Even optical interconnects are yesterday's news. Why not just wait for
> quantum interconnects?

But you were just telling me that optical interconnects wouldn't
happen for ten years. How could that be yesterday's news?

Let's put it this way. AMD and nVidia have just built the Maginot
Line of computer technology, and you are offering tours.

Robert.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: relaxing
Next: A limit on number of USB hubs in Windows 7?