From: Joe Pfeiffer on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> On 8/6/2010 6:14 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
>>> It hasn't said that you need to keep the slots around, just the bus.
>>> That means GPUs can be soldiered onto motherboards using PCIe lines
>>> directly.
>>>

>> I *knew* you'd say that. Let's see what happens.
>>
>> Robert.
>>

> That's the way discrete graphics in laptops are done anyways. Have you
> ever seen a video card for laptops, either from ATI or Nvidia? The
> mobile video "cards" are really just part of the motherboard. Plus
> Atom systems will still need PCIe lines, because all modern PC-Card
> (formerly PCMCIA) peripherals are direct extensions of the PCIe
> interfaces.

I thought PC Card was PCI, ExpressCard (which I've never actually seen
in real life) was PCIe?
From: Yousuf Khan on
On 8/7/2010 10:43 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> I thought PC Card was PCI, ExpressCard (which I've never actually seen
> in real life) was PCIe?

You're probably right.

Yousuf Khan
From: Intel Guy on
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> I thought PC Card was PCI, ExpressCard (which I've never actually
> seen in real life) was PCIe?

If you've handled a video card made during the past 3 or 4 years, you've
handled a PCIe card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIe

Not to be confused with PCI-x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

ExpressCard is a replacement for the PCMCIA or CardBus format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Express_card

One of the needs that fostered the development of PCI-X seemed to be
giga-bit LAN cards. But there are plenty of conventional PCI giga-bit
lan cards these days, so why was PCI-X needed for that?
From: Joe Pfeiffer on
Intel Guy <Intel(a)Guy.com> writes:

> Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> I thought PC Card was PCI, ExpressCard (which I've never actually
>> seen in real life) was PCIe?
>
> If you've handled a video card made during the past 3 or 4 years, you've
> handled a PCIe card.

It's ExpressCard I don't think I've ever seen in real life.

From: Jim on
"Intel Guy" <Intel(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> One of the needs that fostered the development of PCI-X seemed to be
> giga-bit LAN cards. But there are plenty of conventional PCI giga-bit
> lan cards these days, so why was PCI-X needed for that?
PCI is 133MB/s shared among the entire bus. Gigabit is 128MB/s but if
sending and recieving thats up to 256MB/s. Not a problem for the home user
which isn't going to have another bandwidth hungry PCI card (maybe a
SoundBlaster :P) and a HDD that is likely to slow to reach full speed.
Wiki also mentions SCSI cards as another popular device. A few 15K RPM HDDs
would probably read >133MB/s.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: relaxing
Next: A limit on number of USB hubs in Windows 7?