Prev: Dhrystone
Next: Learning Ada
From: Ada novice on
On Aug 7, 6:07 am, "Randy Brukardt" <ra...(a)rrsoftware.com> wrote:

> Intel architectures might, but that doesn't mean that Ada compilers will.
> Most of the early Ada compilers (for Ada 83) didn't support anything beyond
> digits 15. Janus/Ada still doesn't. The original reason was that I couldn't
> be sure that the operations on the 80-bit type met the Ada 83 requirements
> for numeric precision.
>
> It's OK to ignore those requirements in Ada 95 (unless you are running in
> "strict" mode), but I don't think most compilers actually have separate
> strict and relaxed modes. In any case, it might very well be OK to support
> the 80-bit type, I've just never tried to figure out whether it is. (The
> majority of ACATS tests only apply to Float, Short_Float, and Long_Float, so
> those tests wouldn't apply to the 80-bit type anyway, so passing the ACATS
> doesn't prove anything either way.)

Thanks. Long_Float with its 15 precision digits is very much enough
for any numerical calculation in my opinion.

YC
From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 8/7/10 2:46 AM, John B. Matthews wrote:

> No! Release Early, Release Often:
>
> <http://catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html>

Maybe after injecting some of Ada 2012 in the sense of
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/thoare/assertearlyassertoften.ppt

Simplifying_Assumption in particular?

Georg
From: John B. Matthews on
In article <4c5d22e0$0$7661$9b4e6d93(a)newsspool1.arcor-online.net>,
Georg Bauhaus <rm-host.bauhaus(a)maps.futureapps.de> wrote:

> On 8/7/10 2:46 AM, John B. Matthews wrote:
>
> > No! Release Early, Release Often:
> >
> > <http://catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html>
>
> Maybe after injecting some of Ada 2012 in the sense of
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/thoare/assertearlyassertoften.ppt
>
> Simplifying_Assumption in particular?

I think so, but I'm not sure how to apply the principle.

Ada.Numerics.Generic_Complex_Arrays.Extensions is generic, but it has no
generic parameters; the formal parameters of its subprograms are
instances of types defined in Generic_Complex_Types and
Generic_Complex_Arrays. IIUC, the assertion in the test program would be
that those instantiations succeeded at compile-time (slide 10).

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com