From: Jim Marasco on
I installed Virtual PC 2007 on Windows Vista. I installed 4 machines, two are
Windows Server 2003 as Active Directory Domain controller and the other is
W2003 as file and print server. I have two Windows XP machine joined to the
domain. All machine are working fine on their own network. What I need to
accomplish now is to have Interent connection so I can insall ISA and grant
Internet connection to all the machine. Right now all the machine are on
local only network. I am not sure how to configure the connection so all
machine will have Internet connection. Any help or ideas are really
appreciated.
From: RCan on
Hi Jim,

you had already the solution if you can use here an ISA server that would
luxus :-) normally just an W2K3 RRAS service would also be enough but then
you cannot use fw rules easily for routing/publishing tests.

Just add a 2 vNICs to your RRAS/ISA and bind 1 x internal and 1 x your
physical adapter (NAT or 1:1). The you need to configure the internet access
from your RRAS/ISA server.

Finally all servers/clients must point as default gateway to your internal
IP of your ISA server.

Hope that helps

Regards
Ramazan

From: Bill Grant on
As Ramazan said, you do it just as you would with physical machines. I
have a setup like that running. It used to run with 2003 RRAS/NAT but is now
running 2008 with TMG rather ISA. Remember that you also have to modify your
local DNS to forward to a public DNS service to resolve foreign URLs. The AD
clients should use the local DNS server only.

From: Jim Marasco on
Thank you very much Ramazan and Bill Grant for taking time to reply back to
my question. I'll follow up your direction to do so, but in the mean time I
would like to set the connections for virtual machines. All of the machines
are on local only network, so they communicate only with each other. How can
I setup the network cards for each machine so later I can install ISA on one
of the server on one of the server. Do I need to setup loopback adapter or go
with NAT. Here is my current configuration to give you an idea:
Windows Server 2003, AD,DC,DNS (Not a DHCP) yet.
IP address:192.168.200.1
DNS: 192.168.200.1
Default Gateway: 192.168.200.254.
Windows Server 2003, file and print server.
IP address: 192.168.200.4
DNS:192.168.200.1
Windows XP: joined the domain.
IP address: 192.168.200.2
Windows XP: joined the domain.
IP address:192.168.200.3

From: Bill Grant on
That is all OK. You can even set up DHCP (if you want to) because you are
in a local network.

All you will need to do (as far as routing is concerned) is to install
your router/firewall vm with two NICS. One will be in Local Only and this
will be the gateway for your private LAN (192.168.200.254). The other NIC
will be linked to the physical NIC on the host and will be the "public" NIC
of your router/firewall. This machine does the routing for your private LAN,
not the host OS. You can run it as a NAT router using RRAS or you can run
ISA in this machine. The host does not come into the routing at all. The
router/firewall vm has its own network connection to the physical network.