From: Joe on
Hi! I'm having a strange problem connecting to the i-Net. When my modem
initially indicates connection, I can dial up okay. Then, with a single
exception, I cannot connect to any site on the i-Net. Exception: If I first
run Live Update on Norton, then I can access any other web sites with no
problems, that is until I disconnect from AccessRunner.
I tried NIS' One-Click Support, which said that my RPC service was turned
off. In fact, RPC was started & in auto. My RPC Locator ervice, however, is
disabled. So I started the service & set it to automatic. This had no effect
on my problem.
When I clicked the Dependencies tab of the RPC Locator service' Properties
dialog box, I received the following error message: "WBEM error features not
available. Upgrade WMI to a newer build."
Note that the WBEM environment variable is present in the PATH statement.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Platform: WXP Pro SP3, IE8, & NIS2009, with all updates; ADSL, Stand-Alone

--
Joe Davis
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Norton Firewall is really an over kill for dial up.
I would try another simpler Firewall for such a connection.
Search the i-Net there is many less intrusive Firewall that are free.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Joe on
Thanks for responding, Jack.
I have ADSL, though I suppose you could still call it dial-up. I've
determined that all of my WMI files are gone. In that I have rock-solid
security, I'm wondering if a .NET update may be the culprit...? Anyway, I've
gotten help on how to reinstall the files. I'll post if this works.
--
Joe Davis

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
I recommend to any one that has Broadband Internet to use a Cable/DSL Router
even if there is only one computer connected to the Internet.
The Router can be configured to keep the DSL alive (no need for the computer
to do so) and thus provides better more stable connection.
In addition the Router's NAT Firewall + the its capacity to discard pings,
and other unwelcomed probing traffic coming in from the Internet, provides
very good first line of security.
Add to it the free Microsoft Security Essential that provides excellent
AntiVirus, Anti Spyware protection, and there is No need for any other
products. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Some people prefer to add to the mix the controls of 3rd party software
Firewall. This is free Firewall it is just as good as the Not Free
Firewalls, and it is much more "gentler" on the connection.
http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

From: Joe on
That's good information, Jack. Unfortunately, I live in Thailand & do not
have access to bonafide broadband. I have reconstructed my WMI files but, as
diagnosed by the WMI Diagnostic Tool, still have some issues. I'm also still
having a i-Net connectivity problem. The first time I click on Dial in my
AccessRunner ADSL dialog box, it connects me. I must then run NIS' Live
Update iot get through to the i-Net. After that, I can surf the web without
any problems. If I try to go directly to IE or click on any favorite or use
Search's Run (without first going through NIS 2009's Live Update), then I get
a "Web page cannot be displayed ... " message. In this case I must reset my
modem before I can try again. Since my WMI service at least is running again,
I'm wondering if perhaps Symantec wants me to upgrade to 2010 (sarcasm here);
my subscription is good until July. If not, could my modem need replacing?
Such a hassle here in Thailand to register a new MAC address with ToT. I can
do this, but it's not convenient merely as a means of testing the
faulty-modem scenario.
--
Joe Davis