From: Gabriel Knight on
Hi all

Im trying to install Internet Explorer 7 on a newley installed OS as its a clean install. I have installed all my main programs first like drivers and software and now im trying to install IE7.
I dont want to install Internet Explorer 8 or higher as I dont like them, previously I have installed IE7 before on my system, the only thing that is different is my new installed Norton Internet Security 2010.

I get this error when it dosnt install at the end:

Internet explorer did not complete
you must restart your computer to remove any changes setup has made
after restarting, click the "internet explorer troubleshooting" shortcut on your desktop for more information.
restert later restart now (recommended)

When I read the desktop "internet explorer troubleshooting" it says nothing about IE7 just IE8.

My PC specs. are listed below:

Windows XP Home with service pack 3
Mobo = Gigabyte X48-DS5 (ver: F5)
CPU = intel Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz
2gig of DDR2 Ram
3D Card = Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512mb PCIE
Norton internet security 2010

I havnt installed any Microsoft updates yet I need IE7 done first.

Below is the processes currently running:

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: the file is called "IE7-WindowsXP-enu.exe" and is a 15,142KB file

GK.

No.
Name
PID
Memory
CPU time

1
[System Process]
0
0
0

2
System
4
262144
0:0:5

3
smss.exe
1248
397312
0:0:0

4
csrss.exe
1304
0
0

5
winlogon.exe
1328
2551808
0:0:0

6
services.exe
1376
3502080
0:0:1

7
lsass.exe
1388
1388544
0:0:0

8
svchost.exe
1540
5025792
0:0:0

9
svchost.exe
1616
0
0

10
svchost.exe
1656
19464192
0:0:0

11
svchost.exe
1800
0
0

12
svchost.exe
1836
0
0

13
spoolsv.exe
1980
4829184
0:0:0

14
LSSrvc.exe
216
2723840
0:0:0

15
ccsvchst.exe
284
10104832
0:0:1

16
nvsvc32.exe
308
4497408
0:0:0

17
wdfmgr.exe
508
0
0

18
ccsvchst.exe
856
5378048
0:0:0

19
explorer.exe
664
24162304
0:0:2

20
RTHDCPL.exe
1740
24371200
0:0:0

21
alg.exe
1912
0
0

22
issch.exe
2084
1409024
0:0:0

23
rundll32.exe
2156
4444160
0:0:0

24
NMBgMonitor.exe
2520
7688192
0:0:0

25
ctfmon.exe
2528
4599808
0:0:0

26
reader_sl.exe
2600
3620864
0:0:0

27
NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
2608
11993088
0:0:1

28
NMIndexingService.exe
2704
6594560
0:0:0

29
wuauclt.exe
2908
6967296
0:0:0

30
wordpad.exe
2952
1196032
0:0:0

31
Run.exe
3356
3989504
0:0:1

32
JBrowser.exe
3368
10432512
0:0:0

From: Daave on
(Please post in Plain Text rather than Rich Text.)

NIS 2010 is no doubt getting in the way! It needs to be disabled.
Configuring a Clean Boot *should* help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

(When all is well, it may be undone.)

Also, you should use the standalone installer for IE7:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9ae91ebe-3385-447c-8a30-081805b2f90b&displaylang=en

(I'm not sure if that's what you already have or not.)

Finally, this page contains all the information you need to know for a
successful installation of IE7 onto XP (disregard the Vista reference):

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html