From: Mike Easter on
Internet access and IDServe problem

- Connectivity: Motorola SB4100 cable modem to TimeWarner
infrastructure, dynamic IP
- Provider: EarthLink - present IP 24.152.189.211 rDNS
user-0c9hfej.cable.mindspring.com
- LAN: recent AirLink AR325W wirelessG 4 port ethernet router
replacing Linksys BEFSR41 wired router, died
- LAN elements: 3 ethernet wired running various operating systems
half Win98se, half linux mostly ubuntu, one wireless Win98se with
RealTek RTL8185 wireless pci nic branded as compusa wireless G pci
adapter, alternately configured to access an AirLink AP421W ethernet
access point or the AR325W wireless via channel 11 or 6 resp.

Problem: since replacing the linksys befsr with the airlink 325 router,
the wireless W98 cannot get webpages with its browser/s, however, it can
see and transact readwrite with the other computers on the network, it
can ping the WAN IPs, it can resolve and ping domainnames, but it cannot
'transact' with them.

Longer story: The W98se wireless could previously access the internet
fine via the AirLink AP which was ethernetted to the Linksys BEFSR41.
The 3rd time the linksys died, it couldn't be seen at 192.168.1.1 and so
it couldn't be firmware flashed again as it had before, so I replaced it
with the airlink325 which was on sale at Fry's for $20. Because there
were some problems with the airlink's DNS configurability, I flash
upgraded its firmware. Before I did that the routere was working and
providing logs to my WallWatcher software, but after the flash it didn't
provide logs anymore. So I exchanged the flashed airlink router with
another with the old firmware and chose to manage my DNS 'problem' from
the each computer's network configuration instead of with the router's
dns config.

What I was trying to do with the DNS was to use opendns instead of the
DHCP derived DNS. The EL dhcp dns behaves with advertisements for names
that don't resolve. So does opendns, but opendns does it differently
and has several advantages rather than just ads. The linksys router
could use configured opendns primary and secondary dns, whereas the
airlink can store the information, but still just uses the dhcp and just
shows that in its status.

Currently the wireless problem computer can do everything equally well
or equally poorly via the airlink ethernet access point or the airlink
wireless router, namely use the LAN and ping and resolve names on the
internet, but not get webpages and not get idservice from the same names
it can ping. There is no software firewall.

Normal computer follows:

Initiating server query ...
Looking up IP address for domain: www.google.com
The IP address for the domain is: 72.14.253.99
Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
[Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
The server returned the following response headers:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: private
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:47:23 GMT
Query complete.

Problem computer follows:

12/16/06 11:32:18 ping www.google.com
Ping www.google.com (72.14.253.99) ...
1 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 87ms, TTL: 237
2 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 86ms, TTL: 237
3 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 87ms, TTL: 237

Initiating server query ...
Looking up IP address for domain: www.google.com
The IP address for the domain is: 72.14.253.99
Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
No response was received from the machine and port at that IP. The
machine may be offline or the connection port may be stealthed.
Query complete.

As a result of that, I can't get webpages. I also can't telnet or
IDServe transact with such as the pop or smtp server, but I can ping
them by name.

--
Mike Easter