From: Mikhail Zotov on
Dear fellow Slackers!

We are happy to publish an interview with Eric Hameleers, a member of the
Slackware core team:

http://slackworld.berlios.de/2010/eric-hameleers-on-slackware-13.1.html

As well as the earlier interview with Robby Workman, it is devoted to
the recent release of Slackware-13.1. Enjoy!

--
Mikhail on behalf of the Slack World

From: andrew on
On 2010-06-12, Chris Willing <chris(a)bogus.addr.invalid> wrote:

> I don't understand the denigration of the xv application such as in
> question 11 "Why do you think relics like amp and xv are still kept in
> Slack? ..."

I half remember hearing PV speak on this issue in a radio broadcast
where he made the comment that one person's relic is another person's
treasure...

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
From: Richard Herbert on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:57:48 +0400, Mikhail Zotov wrote:

> Dear fellow Slackers!
>
> We are happy to publish an interview with Eric Hameleers, a member of
> the Slackware core team:
>
> http://slackworld.berlios.de/2010/eric-hameleers-on-slackware-13.1.html

"Slackware 13.1 feels a lot faster than 13.0 on bootup,"

Maybe it's just me, but I find the bootup sequence, for lack of a better
word, "mushy", compared to 13.0. Weird, because I ran 13.0 on an Intel
2.4 GHz P4 from an IDE drive, and I'm running 13.1 on a 3.0 GHz Quad Core
with the SMP option enabled in the kernel, and from a SATA drive. It runs
like a bat outta Hell, otherwise.

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329
From: Aaron W. Hsu on
Richard Herbert wrote:

> "Slackware 13.1 feels a lot faster than 13.0 on bootup,"
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I find the bootup sequence, for lack of a better
> word, "mushy", compared to 13.0. Weird, because I ran 13.0 on an Intel
> 2.4 GHz P4 from an IDE drive, and I'm running 13.1 on a 3.0 GHz Quad
Core
> with the SMP option enabled in the kernel, and from a SATA drive. It
runs
> like a bat outta Hell, otherwise.

For me, I don't think the actual timing has changed noticably for me when
I boot up, but the rest of the system is much faster, especially KDE, even
with the indexer enabled.

I also always use the standard console for Lilo instead of the
framebuffers, though, as it seems to make things much more snappy on the
terminal for doing the work I need to do, and I don't need the extra
resolution since I'm mostly in X.

Aaron W. Hsu

Pages: 1
Prev: hp smh and agents