From: Frits on
Since I upgraded from Slack-13.0 to 13.1 I can't get my printer working
correctly.
My printer an Epson Stylus COLOR 880 used to work in all earlier
versions of Slack.
I suppose it has something to do with CUPS , but I don't know what to do
about it.The printer is recognized in CUPS, so far so good,but when I am
trying to make a test print, the whole sheet is painted black. The
active job log shows the following: "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster failed"
I would appreciate any suggestions
to correct the problem.
From: Frits on
Frits wrote:
> Since I upgraded from Slack-13.0 to 13.1 I can't get my printer working
> correctly.
> My printer an Epson Stylus COLOR 880 used to work in all earlier
> versions of Slack.

Further googling gave me the solution in www.linuxquestions.org
Fixed it by downgrading ghostscript-8.71 to 8.70 from Slack-13.0.
From: Jim Kalb on

Frits> Frits wrote:
>> Since I upgraded from Slack-13.0 to 13.1 I can't get my
>> printer working correctly. My printer an Epson Stylus COLOR
>> 880 used to work in all earlier versions of Slack.

Frits> Further googling gave me the solution in
Frits> www.linuxquestions.org Fixed it by downgrading
Frits> ghostscript-8.71 to 8.70 from Slack-13.0.

Thanks for posting this! I had a similar problem--it printed the
test page just fine but for everything else it printed each page
as 8 micro copies white on black. Bizarre. Reverting to 8.70 fixed
it though.

--
Jim Kalb
http://jimkalb.com
From: Frits on
Frits wrote:
> Frits wrote:
>> Since I upgraded from Slack-13.0 to 13.1 I can't get my printer working
>> correctly.
>> My printer an Epson Stylus COLOR 880 used to work in all earlier
>> versions of Slack.
>
> Further googling gave me the solution in www.linuxquestions.org
> Fixed it by downgrading ghostscript-8.71 to 8.70 from Slack-13.0.

http://www.slackware.com/changelog/ showed me that there is a patch
available.
This patched ghostscript-8.71 did work for me.