From: Lew Pitcher on
Hi, Guys

I've finally committed to moving my desktop machine up to the Slackware 13.1
(from Slackware 12.0), and have run into a minor problem.

I've completed the upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1 with no major issues and only
one minor issue: my PS2 Mouse stopped working with Slackware 12.1's xorg
and the 'closed source' NVIDIA 195.36.24 drivers.

Symptoms: With the xorg.conf pointing to /dev/mouse, X no longer moves the
pointer in conjunction with movements of the mouse; the pointer does not
move at all when I move the mouse.

When I switch to a USB mouse (without changing xorg.conf or restarting X),
the X pointer properly responds to movements of the USB mouse.

The PS2 mouse /does/ generate events on /dev/ps2aux, as evidenced by a
hexdump from /dev/ps2aux while moving the mouse (od -x /dev/ps2aux). It
appears that these mouse events are no longer relayed to /dev/mouse.

The relevent sections of my xorg.conf have not changed from my (working)
Slackware 12.0 setup. They look like...
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Simple Layout"
Screen "Screen 1" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "Resolution" "400"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

/dev/mouse is now a UDEV-controlled softlink to /dev/input/mice. I don't
know what /dev/mouse was connected to under 12.0

My motherboard is an ASUSTEK M3A running an AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core
Processor. I use the Slackware 12.1 kernel-huge-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2 and
kernel-modules-smp-2.6.24.5_smp-i686-2 to drive the system. I have GPM
running and it properly manages with the USB mouse. (I haven't tried the
busmouse with GPM under 12.1 yet).

It's early days in my investigation of this problem, so I haven't examined
the entire system yet. /proc/modules does not show the busmouse driver
being loaded automagically, and it does not appear that manually loading
the driver helps at all; the PS2 mouse is still "dead" to X, even with the
psmouse and/or sermouse drivers loaded.

So, before I begin deep-diving into my setup, does anyone have any
suggestions for how I can get my PS2 busmouse working under X again? I'd
like to get this remedied before moving to Slackware 12.2 (next week) and
beyond (by the end of June).

And, no, I don't want to "live with it" or switch permenantly to a USB
mouse; my motherboard has a "power-on on PS2 mouse activity" option that I
like, but no equivalent "power-on on USB mouse activity".

Thanks
--
Lew Pitcher

From: Lew Pitcher on
On June 12, 2010 12:04, in alt.os.linux.slackware, lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com
wrote:

> Hi, Guys
>
> I've finally committed to moving my desktop machine up to the Slackware
> 13.1 (from Slackware 12.0), and have run into a minor problem.
>
> I've completed the upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1 with no major issues and only
> one minor issue: my PS2 Mouse stopped working with Slackware 12.1's xorg
> and the 'closed source' NVIDIA 195.36.24 drivers.
>
> Symptoms: With the xorg.conf pointing to /dev/mouse, X no longer moves the
> pointer in conjunction with movements of the mouse; the pointer does not
> move at all when I move the mouse.
>
> When I switch to a USB mouse (without changing xorg.conf or restarting X),
> the X pointer properly responds to movements of the USB mouse.

For what it's worth, I /did/ switch my xorg.conf to use /dev/psaux with the
PS2 mouse, but this made no difference. The X pointer did not respond to
any movements of the PS2 mouse, using /dev/psaux /or/ /dev/mouse.

--
Lew Pitcher

From: John K. Herreshoff on
Lew Pitcher wrote:

> On June 12, 2010 12:04, in alt.os.linux.slackware,
> lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com wrote:
>
>> Hi, Guys
>>
>> I've finally committed to moving my desktop machine up to the
>> Slackware 13.1 (from Slackware 12.0), and have run into a minor
>> problem.
>>
>> I've completed the upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1 with no major issues
>> and only one minor issue: my PS2 Mouse stopped working with
>> Slackware 12.1's xorg and the 'closed source' NVIDIA 195.36.24
>> drivers.
>>
>> Symptoms: With the xorg.conf pointing to /dev/mouse, X no longer
>> moves the pointer in conjunction with movements of the mouse; the
>> pointer does not move at all when I move the mouse.
>>
>> When I switch to a USB mouse (without changing xorg.conf or
>> restarting X), the X pointer properly responds to movements of the
>> USB mouse.
>
> For what it's worth, I /did/ switch my xorg.conf to use /dev/psaux
> with the PS2 mouse, but this made no difference. The X pointer did
> not respond to any movements of the PS2 mouse, using /dev/psaux /or/
> /dev/mouse.

Try xorgsetup and see if that does not fix the problem. FWIW, I
upgraded a few days ago to the most recent Nvidia driver for my card,
and it works well enough to allow keeping a framebuffer working.

John.

--
Using the jch_box.
From: Glyn Millington on
Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> writes:

> On June 12, 2010 12:04, in alt.os.linux.slackware, lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Guys
>>
>> I've finally committed to moving my desktop machine up to the Slackware
>> 13.1 (from Slackware 12.0), and have run into a minor problem.
>>
>> I've completed the upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1 with no major issues and only
>> one minor issue: my PS2 Mouse stopped working with Slackware 12.1's xorg
>> and the 'closed source' NVIDIA 195.36.24 drivers.
>>
>> Symptoms: With the xorg.conf pointing to /dev/mouse, X no longer moves the
>> pointer in conjunction with movements of the mouse; the pointer does not
>> move at all when I move the mouse.
>>
>> When I switch to a USB mouse (without changing xorg.conf or restarting X),
>> the X pointer properly responds to movements of the USB mouse.
>
> For what it's worth, I /did/ switch my xorg.conf to use /dev/psaux with the
> PS2 mouse, but this made no difference. The X pointer did not respond to
> any movements of the PS2 mouse, using /dev/psaux /or/ /dev/mouse.

I had similar problems on my FreeBSD machine when X changed its way of
finding mice - it stopped reading from the Input Device section of the
file and it ccouldn't/wouldn't autodetect the PS2 mouse. Try adding the
following line to the ServerLayout or ServerFlags section of xorg.conf :

Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"

atb

Glyn
--
RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
From: Ken P on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:04:29 -0400, Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:
> Hi, Guys
>
> I've finally committed to moving my desktop machine up to the Slackware 13.1
> (from Slackware 12.0), and have run into a minor problem.
>
> I've completed the upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1 with no major issues and only
> one minor issue: my PS2 Mouse stopped working with Slackware 12.1's xorg
> and the 'closed source' NVIDIA 195.36.24 drivers.
>
> Symptoms: With the xorg.conf pointing to /dev/mouse, X no longer moves the
> pointer in conjunction with movements of the mouse; the pointer does not
> move at all when I move the mouse.
>
> When I switch to a USB mouse (without changing xorg.conf or restarting X),
> the X pointer properly responds to movements of the USB mouse.
>
> The PS2 mouse /does/ generate events on /dev/ps2aux, as evidenced by a
> hexdump from /dev/ps2aux while moving the mouse (od -x /dev/ps2aux). It
> appears that these mouse events are no longer relayed to /dev/mouse.
>
> The relevent sections of my xorg.conf have not changed from my (working)
> Slackware 12.0 setup. They look like...
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Simple Layout"
> Screen "Screen 1" 0 0
> InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse1"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
> Option "Resolution" "400"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "Buttons" "5"
> EndSection

This is working for my PS2 mouse in 13.1. Built using Nvidia
x86_64-195.36.15.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"