From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:
> /dev/mouse is now a UDEV-controlled softlink to /dev/input/mice. I don't
> know what /dev/mouse was connected to under 12.0

I cant really help you with your problem, but at least I can say that on
my Slackware 12.0 machines /dev/mouse is a symolic link to input/mice just
like your configuration.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Lew Pitcher on
Thanks, everyone, for the advice and assistance. I got it working again.

On June 12, 2010 12:16, in alt.os.linux.slackware, nope(a)not.here wrote:

> Lew Pitcher wrote:
>
>> On June 12, 2010 12:04, in alt.os.linux.slackware,
>> lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Guys
>>>
>>> I've finally committed to moving my desktop machine up to the
>>> Slackware 13.1 (from Slackware 12.0), and have run into a minor
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I've completed the upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1 with no major issues
>>> and only one minor issue: my PS2 Mouse stopped working with
>>> Slackware 12.1's xorg and the 'closed source' NVIDIA 195.36.24
>>> drivers.
[snip]
> Try xorgsetup and see if that does not fix the problem. FWIW, I
> upgraded a few days ago to the most recent Nvidia driver for my card,
> and it works well enough to allow keeping a framebuffer working.

John, I took your advice and (after backing up my current xorg.conf) ran
xorgsetup. It generated an xorg.conf that was only a bit different from the
one that I had used, *but*, this xorg.conf works! I now have my PS2 mouse
back.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Lew Pitcher

From: John K. Herreshoff on
Lew Pitcher wrote:

> Thanks, everyone, for the advice and assistance. I got it working
> again.
>
> On June 12, 2010 12:16, in alt.os.linux.slackware, nope(a)not.here
> wrote:
>
>> Lew Pitcher wrote:

> [snip]
>> Try xorgsetup and see if that does not fix the problem. FWIW, I
>> upgraded a few days ago to the most recent Nvidia driver for my
>> card, and it works well enough to allow keeping a framebuffer
>> working.
>
> John, I took your advice and (after backing up my current xorg.conf)
> ran xorgsetup. It generated an xorg.conf that was only a bit
> different from the one that I had used, *but*, this xorg.conf works!
> I now have my PS2 mouse back.
>
> Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome, Lew. I picked that tip up here years ago, so I guess
thank the group.

John.
--
Using the jch_box.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Lew Pitcher:

> Thanks, everyone, for the advice and assistance. I got it working again.
>
> On June 12, 2010 12:16, in alt.os.linux.slackware, nope(a)not.here wrote:
>
>> Lew Pitcher wrote:

> [snip]
>> Try xorgsetup and see if that does not fix the problem. FWIW, I
>> upgraded a few days ago to the most recent Nvidia driver for my card,
>> and it works well enough to allow keeping a framebuffer working.
>
> John, I took your advice and (after backing up my current xorg.conf) ran
> xorgsetup. It generated an xorg.conf that was only a bit different from
> the one that I had used, *but*, this xorg.conf works! I now have my PS2
> mouse back.
>
> Thanks for the advice.

FWIW, I had Xorg problems with 12 and 12.1, but 12.2 was ok.

I've also have problems (same hardware) with 13 and 13.1

I'd suggest 12.2, and then wait for 13.2. ;)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Richard Herbert on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:08:02 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> FWIW, I had Xorg problems with 12 and 12.1, but 12.2 was ok.
>
> I've also have problems (same hardware) with 13 and 13.1
>
> I'd suggest 12.2, and then wait for 13.2. ;)

FWIW, my hardware detection problems started with 13.0 (no keyboard or
mouse in X), but were solved in 13.1. In 13.0, I had to disable
AutoAddDevices and AutoEnableDevices in xorg.conf in order to have my PS/2
keyboard and USB mouse enabled in X; this is no longer the case in 13.1.

As they say at NASA amd MIT, "Go figure".

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329