From: FatMan on
Hi all:
I am getting an invalid use of null in the if statement below and do not
usnderstand why. Can anyone help me?

Background:
- rs has been declared as a recordset

- rs!GrowerEmail is the email address for our grower/customer

- the code below is part of the code used to email a report to our
growers/customers and works find for those records where the email address is
not blank/null.

- when I put in a control stop and run the program in debug mode and step
through each line of code and hover my mouse of "rs!GrowerEmail" in the "If
rs!GrowerEmail = Null then" part of the IF statement my mouse pointer display
"rs!GrowerEmail = Null". As well the debug.print statement just before the
IF statement will print out the GrowerFarmName and for the strGrowerEmail
part of the statement that should print "*EmailAddress* only prints "**"

Why will not the If statement recognize that rs!GrowerEmail is null? Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
FatMan

Code follows.........

Debug.Print "strGrowerFarmName = " & strGrowerFarmName & " " &
"strGrowerEmail = *" & rs!GrowerEmail & "*" & " " & Len(rs!GrowerEmail)

If rs!GrowerEmail = Null Then
rs!GrowerEmail = "No email address on file"
Else
strGrowerEmail = rs!GrowerEmail
End If
From: Dirk Goldgar on
"FatMan" <FatMan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all:
> I am getting an invalid use of null in the if statement below and do not
> usnderstand why. Can anyone help me?
>
> Background:
> - rs has been declared as a recordset
>
> - rs!GrowerEmail is the email address for our grower/customer
>
> - the code below is part of the code used to email a report to our
> growers/customers and works find for those records where the email address
> is
> not blank/null.
>
> - when I put in a control stop and run the program in debug mode and step
> through each line of code and hover my mouse of "rs!GrowerEmail" in the
> "If
> rs!GrowerEmail = Null then" part of the IF statement my mouse pointer
> display
> "rs!GrowerEmail = Null". As well the debug.print statement just before
> the
> IF statement will print out the GrowerFarmName and for the strGrowerEmail
> part of the statement that should print "*EmailAddress* only prints "**"
>
> Why will not the If statement recognize that rs!GrowerEmail is null? Any
> help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> FatMan
>
> Code follows.........
>
> Debug.Print "strGrowerFarmName = " & strGrowerFarmName & " " &
> "strGrowerEmail = *" & rs!GrowerEmail & "*" & " " & Len(rs!GrowerEmail)
>

> If rs!GrowerEmail = Null Then
> rs!GrowerEmail = "No email address on file"
> Else
> strGrowerEmail = rs!GrowerEmail
> End If

By the definition of Null, *nothing* ever equals Null (no matter what it
shows in the debugger's tooltip). In VBA code, test for Null using the
IsNull function:

If IsNull(rs!GrowerEmail) Then

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: mie via AccessMonster.com on
Refer to your previous post, someone already answered your question.