From: Dex on
Scanned my system with Avast 4.8 and it flagged this group, or more
fittingly, the file that Thunderbird indexes the posts in this group
as... alt.comp.anti-virus.msf is infected with HTML:Script-inf

Sent the file to Virustotal and the only other scanner that picks it up
is GData.

http://bit.ly/9siJOT

Anyone else had this problem and figured out which post is causing the
false positive?

From: VanguardLH on
Dex wrote:

> Scanned my system with Avast 4.8 and it flagged this group, or more
> fittingly, the file that Thunderbird indexes the posts in this group
> as... alt.comp.anti-virus.msf is infected with HTML:Script-inf
>
> Sent the file to Virustotal and the only other scanner that picks it up
> is GData.
>
> http://bit.ly/9siJOT
>
> Anyone else had this problem and figured out which post is causing the
> false positive?

I had Avast issue a false positive on a similar data file for my newsreader.
That file only contains text. Nothing in it would be executable (although,
I suppose, scripts are text, too, and something executes the script). I
sent the file to Avast as a false positive. I don't know when but
eventually they must've updated their signature database because Avast no
longer triggers on that file; however, it could also be that the text in
that data file got pushed out as newer data got moved it (obviously the
contents of the data file changes every time that I use my newsreader).
From: Wolf K on
Dex wrote:
> Scanned my system with Avast 4.8 and it flagged this group, or more
> fittingly, the file that Thunderbird indexes the posts in this group
> as... alt.comp.anti-virus.msf is infected with HTML:Script-inf
>
> Sent the file to Virustotal and the only other scanner that picks it up
> is GData.
>
> http://bit.ly/9siJOT
>

> Anyone else had this problem and figured out which post is causing the
> false positive?

Didn't happen here.

wolf k.