From: Sherm Pendley on
Tim Watts <tw(a)dionic.net> writes:

> Judging by the resounding lack of action re Mason here and on the MasonHQ
> lists do I conclude that using Mason on a new project is a bad idea?

I'd give it some time before drawing any conclusions - there's less
than a day between this message and your previous one.

Further, the lack of response to your question may indicate something
entirely different - for example, although I've used Mason in several
sites and had no problems with it, I've never tried what you're trying
and don't have an answer for you.

Warnock applies.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_Dilemma>

> Is there something better that's solid?

Template Toolkit is popular too, but I'd hesitate to call either one
"better," since both have been reliable in my experience.

sherm--

--
Sherm Pendley <www.shermpendley.com>
<www.camelbones.org>
From: J. Gleixner on
Tim Watts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Judging by the resounding lack of action re Mason here and on the MasonHQ
> lists do I conclude that using Mason on a new project is a bad idea?

Post your question to the Mason mailing list. That will
go to the authors and to others who are very knowledgeable about
Mason.

I've done what you want to do using a simple component, going
up a directory at a time, looking for a certain file, but maybe
there's a better way that would be mentioned by the mailing list.

Maybe this will help you:

http://masonhq.com/?Component:Recurser

It's pretty simple to write what you want to do, if
it's not already available in Mason.

> Is there something better that's solid?

Catalyst might be of interest. CGI::Application, Template Toolkit, etc.

From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth Tim Watts <tw(a)dionic.net>:
> Sherm Pendley <spamtrap(a)shermpendley.com>
> wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 14:36
>
> > Warnock applies.
> >
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock%27s_Dilemma>
>
> He forgot:
>
> 6) No one knows the answer - quite common IMO to get null replies to such a
> post *unless* someone else

Warnock was talking specifically about the case of someone submitting a
propsal or patch to a development list (in the original case,
bootstrap(a)perl.org, one of the early Perl 6 discussion lists). If
someone is asking a question there are a *lot* of other alternatives.

Ben

From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth Tim Watts <tw(a)dionic.net>:
> J. Gleixner <glex_no-spam(a)qwest-spam-no.invalid>
> wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 17:09
>
> > Tim Watts wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Judging by the resounding lack of action re Mason here and on the MasonHQ
> >> lists do I conclude that using Mason on a new project is a bad idea?
> >
> > Post your question to the Mason mailing list. That will
> > go to the authors and to others who are very knowledgeable about
> > Mason.
>
> I did that first - mason-users anyway.
>
> That's a very low volume list of late which makes me suspicious. It either
> means Mason is used by no one but experts who know everything already, or
> it's used by noone full stop...

You could also try #mason on irc.perl.org. (I've no idea what the
response-rate is like, since I've never used Mason, but the channel
exists and there are people there I know have a clue.)

> > Catalyst might be of interest. CGI::Application, Template Toolkit, etc.
>
> Name rings a bell. I should look at that now. I'm not committed to Mason,
> I'm just looking for the next stage up from SSI to do my website.

Catalyst is quite complicated. That is, once you've got your head around
the Cat way of doing things, it's rather simple, but there's quite a
learning curve to get there. FWIW, I know first-hand that #catalyst (and
#dbix-class, which you'd probably end up using too) is very helpful.

Ben