From: Ragdollbaby1208 on

::I also was having problems booting my computer up which was only 3
months, I called tech support with HP and did all of the stupid little
things they told me to do, this has been going on now for 10 months
now, finally I did what hp's site said if none of the other stuff
helped to reformat my computer which that is when matters got worse, on
the Recovery disc's from HP is the axel.dav virus over 3000 files, it
has trashed my computer, porgrams and alot of my files, still HP don't
hold themselves responsible for this problem and basically called me a
liar. I am going to file a class action lawsuit against HP. They
refuse to take care of the problem and the virsus comes from their
recovery discs. If anyone else has had this problem and would like to
be included in the suit you can get in contact with me::

--
Ragdollbaby1208
Ragdollbaby1208's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=40562

http://forums.techarena.in

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:07:04 -0500, Ragdollbaby1208 <Ragdollbaby1208.33x0bd(a)donotspam.com> wrote:

> the Recovery disc's from HP is the axel.dav virus over 3000 files, it
> has trashed my computer, porgrams and alot of my files, still HP don't
> hold themselves responsible for this problem and basically called me a

Did it ever occur to you, that the recovery partition may have been fine,
until your computer became infected? Just because the recovery partition
is not normally made visible to regular applications, does not mean it can
not be written to, and infected. If you're running xp, as an administrator,
the virus doesn't even need to escalate privleges, to write to the recovery
partition. If you are running as an unpriveledged user, it can still be
done, by a variety of priveledge escalation methods.

Format & re-install, requires installing from known clean media. It does
not mean re-install, from a writable hard drive, on the already infected
computer.

From: Ragdollbaby1208 on

Normally that would be the case, except, the recovery disks were made
immediately upon the arrival of the computer, the computer was pulled
out of the box, plugged into the wall outlet and then the recovery
disks were made before even hooking up to the internet.

Therefore, either it came with the recovery partition already infected
from the factory, ups pulled the computer in the warehouse, opened it
up and infected the recovery partitition, or the blank cds were
infected from the store, now with that said what would be the most
likely case scenerio.

> Format & re-install, requires installing from known clean media. It
> does
> not mean re-install, from a writable hard drive, on the already
> infected
> computer.

Exactly and that is how it was discovered, the system was being
formated and re-installed from the initial recovery disks not the
harddrive itself, that were made up receiving the computer. This was
full format not just a partition format. Therefore the computer had to
been infected prior to arrival.

From: Buzzard on
You're saying, then, that the recovery discs
are CD's?

From: Ragdollbaby1208 on

Yes they are Brand New CD-R not CD-RW right out of the box.