From: Ray K on
I want to d/l a couple just to see how well my AV program is in
detecting them. I'm not saying which program I'm using because I'm not
looking for comments on how good or bad it is.

Thanks,

Ray
From: Ben Myers on
"Ray K" <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net> wrote in message news:476e8f0e$0$9090$607ed4bc(a)cv.net...
> I want to d/l a couple just to see how well my AV program is in
> detecting them. I'm not saying which program I'm using because I'm not
> looking for comments on how good or bad it is.

See http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/eicar_test_file.shtml

Ben
From: Ray K on
Ben Myers wrote:
> "Ray K" <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net> wrote in message news:476e8f0e$0$9090$607ed4bc(a)cv.net...
>> I want to d/l a couple just to see how well my AV program is in
>> detecting them. I'm not saying which program I'm using because I'm not
>> looking for comments on how good or bad it is.
>
> See http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/eicar_test_file.shtml
>
> Ben

Thanks, Ben. I tried downloading it and my program detected and deleted it.

BTW, I'm using iolo System Mechanic 7 Professional.

Ray
From: Virus Guy on
Ray K wrote:

> I want to d/l a couple just to see how well my AV program is in
> detecting them.

Here's a random selection:

http://rapidshare.com/files/78792390/video.exe.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/78793364/web.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/78793583/cancel_order.exe.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/78794055/osamebinladenphoto.jpg.zip.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/78794411/Zoeken.exe.html

Disable your AV software when downloading them, then tell your AV
program to scan them individually.
From: Ray K on
Virus Guy wrote:
> Ray K wrote:
>
>> I want to d/l a couple just to see how well my AV program is in
>> detecting them.
>
> Here's a random selection:
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/78792390/video.exe.html
> http://rapidshare.com/files/78793364/web.jpg.html
> http://rapidshare.com/files/78793583/cancel_order.exe.html
> http://rapidshare.com/files/78794055/osamebinladenphoto.jpg.zip.html
> http://rapidshare.com/files/78794411/Zoeken.exe.html
>
> Disable your AV software when downloading them, then tell your AV
> program to scan them individually.

I downloaded the binaladenphoto file with the AV program active. It did
not detect a problem during download. But when it scanned the file
individually, it detected a problem and quarantined the file. This was
an eye-opening experience for me. Now I understand the need for full
system scans every so often.

Thanks,

Ray
 |  Next  |  Last