From: Jean on
In last couple of decades the exponential increase in computer
performance was because of the advancements in both computer
architecture and fabrication technology.
What will be the case for future ? Can I comment that the next major
leap in computer performance will not because of breakthroughs in
computer architecture but rather from new underlying technology ?

From: Ken Hagan on
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 05:44:29 +0100, Jean <alertjean(a)rediffmail.com> wrote:

> In last couple of decades the exponential increase in computer
> performance was because of the advancements in both computer
> architecture and fabrication technology.

Call me cynical, but I can't think of any advances in computer
architecture that have entered the mainstream in the last twenty years.
Surely its *all* been in fabrication.

> What will be the case for future ? Can I comment that the next major
> leap in computer performance will not because of breakthroughs in
> computer architecture but rather from new underlying technology ?

I see no reason for the fabrication not to improve, but whether those
improvements will boost single-core speed seems, umm, less certain. Right
now, everyone is going parallel, despite the fact that no-one has much
idea of how to use that parallel power. I'd say the need for research has
never been greater.
From: nmm1 on
In article <op.u1t9vpynss38k4(a)khagan.ttx>,
Ken Hagan <K.Hagan(a)thermoteknix.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 05:44:29 +0100, Jean <alertjean(a)rediffmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In last couple of decades the exponential increase in computer
>> performance was because of the advancements in both computer
>> architecture and fabrication technology.
>
>Call me cynical, but I can't think of any advances in computer
>architecture that have entered the mainstream in the last twenty years.
>Surely its *all* been in fabrication.

Agreed. Most of the complications of the past 20 years have either
been old techniques reintroduced, or dubiously advantages. That
isn't to denigrate the engineers, but the objectives they were given.

>I see no reason for the fabrication not to improve, but whether those
>improvements will boost single-core speed seems, umm, less certain. Right
>now, everyone is going parallel, despite the fact that no-one has much
>idea of how to use that parallel power. I'd say the need for research has
>never been greater.

I can. Until now, the problems were (hard) engineering ones; they
are now (hard) physics ones. The killer is to obtain the advantages
of smaller processes without the major downsides: power consumption,
unreliability and fab cost. It's got a LOT tougher.

I agree about parallelism, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Mayan Moudgill on
Ken Hagan wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 05:44:29 +0100, Jean <alertjean(a)rediffmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In last couple of decades the exponential increase in computer
>> performance was because of the advancements in both computer
>> architecture and fabrication technology.
>

> Call me cynical, but I can't think of any advances in computer
> architecture that have entered the mainstream in the last twenty years.
> Surely its *all* been in fabrication.

Instruction set architecture: multi-media extensions
micro-architecture: 2-bit branch prediction
From: ChrisQ on
Mayan Moudgill wrote:
> Ken Hagan wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 05:44:29 +0100, Jean <alertjean(a)rediffmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In last couple of decades the exponential increase in computer
>>> performance was because of the advancements in both computer
>>> architecture and fabrication technology.
>>

>> Call me cynical, but I can't think of any advances in computer
>> architecture that have entered the mainstream in the last twenty
>> years. Surely its *all* been in fabrication.
>>

> Instruction set architecture: multi-media extensions
> micro-architecture: 2-bit branch prediction

Yes, but utimately boring and really just rearranging the deck chairs.
Compared to the 70's and 80's the pace of development is essentially
static. Then there were dozens ? of architectures. Now we have what
intel and amd deem good for us. ie: what makes them the most money for
as long as possible. In this respect, there's a basic conflict between
the aims of science / pursuit of excellence and the aims of business.

Don't expect any advance from the established order. They know far too
much already :-)...

Regards,

Chris