From: Rhino on
I come to this newsgroup periodically when I have an issue with Windows but
that doesn't happen very often.

I'm using Outlook Express on XP as my news reader and when I try to get a
complete list of newsgroups on msnews.microsoft.com, this
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) is the ONLY newsgroup listed on the
whole server.

What's going on? Has Microsoft gone over to a web-based approach and
abandoned usenet as I suspect? If they have, what is this one solitary
newsgroup still doing in existence? Surely it can't be worth the bother to
keep the new server alive for only one newsgroup, even if it is fairly
heavily used like this one.....

If this news server IS dead, where are we supposed to be going?
--
Rhino

From: Bob I on
Nah, something is wrong on your system as there are well over a hundred
groups.

http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

From: Bruce Hagen on

"Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please(a)example.com> wrote in message
>I come to this newsgroup periodically when I have an issue with Windows
>but that doesn't happen very often.
>
> I'm using Outlook Express on XP as my news reader and when I try to get
> a complete list of newsgroups on msnews.microsoft.com, this
> (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) is the ONLY newsgroup listed on the
> whole server.
>
> What's going on? Has Microsoft gone over to a web-based approach and
> abandoned usenet as I suspect? If they have, what is this one solitary
> newsgroup still doing in existence? Surely it can't be worth the bother
> to keep the new server alive for only one newsgroup, even if it is
> fairly heavily used like this one.....
>
> If this news server IS dead, where are we supposed to be going?
> --
> Rhino

More like 2,000+

Outlook Express General newsgroup:

OT. From your message headers:

You are running a very old and less secure version of Outlook Express. You
do not have even one critical update since SP2 was released in August,
2004. Do yourself a favor and visit Windows Updates ASAP.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please(a)example.com>

| I come to this newsgroup periodically when I have an issue with Windows but
| that doesn't happen very often.

| I'm using Outlook Express on XP as my news reader and when I try to get a
| complete list of newsgroups on msnews.microsoft.com, this
| (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) is the ONLY newsgroup listed on the
| whole server.

| What's going on? Has Microsoft gone over to a web-based approach and
| abandoned usenet as I suspect? If they have, what is this one solitary
| newsgroup still doing in existence? Surely it can't be worth the bother to
| keep the new server alive for only one newsgroup, even if it is fairly
| heavily used like this one.....

| If this news server IS dead, where are we supposed to be going?
| --
| Rhino

No problems here !

--
Dave

From: EN59CVH on
Bruce Hagen wrote:

> You are running a very old and less secure version of Outlook Express.
> You do not have even one critical update since SP2 was released in
> August, 2004. Do yourself a favor and visit Windows Updates ASAP.

Hey Pig-Hagen,

There are people (me included) who are not interested in M$ updates.
Why are you concerned about this? I have not installed any updates
since SP3 was released and I have no plans to do. I have come to the
conclusion that people should not bother with updates because they are
becoming gimmicky to have useless updates month after month that don't
serve any useful purpose.

hth

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4