From: Peter Lindberg on
I have some database that is restored in SQL 2008. I'm pretty sure
that it's created in an earlier version of MSSQL but the one who
restored it (an other company) say's it's created in SQL 2008.

Is there a way to determine if a database on SQL 2008 is created in an
earlier SQL Server version? Compabilitylevel shows what it's set to at
the moment so that says nothing.
/Peter
From: Kalen Delaney on
Hi Peter

Why is that important? Once a db is opened under SQL 2008, and it's in 2008
compatibility level, then it is a SQL 2008 database.

--
HTH
Kalen

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Peter Lindberg (plTAKE(a)AWAYlg.se) writes:
> I have some database that is restored in SQL 2008. I'm pretty sure
> that it's created in an earlier version of MSSQL but the one who
> restored it (an other company) say's it's created in SQL 2008.
>
> Is there a way to determine if a database on SQL 2008 is created in an
> earlier SQL Server version? Compabilitylevel shows what it's set to at
> the moment so that says nothing.

You could try:

select min(create_date) FROM sys.objects

If the date is old, it was probably not created on SQL 2008.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Peter Lindberg on
Kalen, interesting with a reply from you. I started looking if it's
possible to find this information in my course material from you. Here
in Sweden it's named "Architecture, Internals and Tuning (MC003)".

This is one of many things we have learned between sql versions. We
had some catalog errors in an other version of this database when it
was moved from sql2k to sql2k5 (dbcc checkdb with catalogcheck in
sql2k5)

Now we got the same type of issue in a new database on sql2k8. This
database is delivered to us for education (prefilled with data) and I
think it's created in an earlier sql version and the errors is
inherited from there.

We aswell as other don't want databases with errors. There is
different opinions between us and the company that delivered it about
where this started. If this can help them deliver databases without
error it is good enough for me.

Beside that, the why question, it's mostly my ego;-)

/Peter

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:33:58 -0700, "Kalen Delaney"
<please_reply_on_newsgroups(a)domain.com> wrotc:

From: Tibor Karaszi on
He Peter,

Here's a tip for you. The command isn't documented or so, so use at own
risk. You will also have to apply some detective work to reach your goal,
but after attending Kalen's course, that shouldn't be a problem:

http://sscheralbidar.blog.co.uk/2007/04/09/dbcc_dbinfo~2057241/

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp