From: Richard Quadling on
Hi.

I've recently come across some third party code which uses ...

<?PHP

as the PHP tag.

This is the first time I've seen PHP in upper case for the tag.

The code works in V5, so, from this, I can assume the tag is read case
insensitive.

Are there any issues with this when moving forward?

When Unicode support is re-committed to trunk, does case sensitivity
become part of this?

Regards,

Richard.

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Daniel Brown on
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 04:51, Richard Quadling
<rquadling(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've recently come across some third party code which uses ...
>
> <?PHP
>
> as the PHP tag.
>
> This is the first time I've seen PHP in upper case for the tag.
>
> The code works in V5, so, from this, I can assume the tag is read case
> insensitive.
>
> Are there any issues with this when moving forward?

Glance through some of the user notes on the site and you'll see
that some folks prefer to use UPPER-CASE <?PHP as opposed to
lower-case <?php. It's always worked just fine. In fact, I remember
a PHP3 site that someone wrote (.phtml and .php3 files!) that used
UPPER-CASE in every file, including for variables and functions. I
don't remember having to modify that part to work (but thinking how
much I'd love to break the person's CAPS LOCK off the keyboard
permanently).

> When Unicode support is re-committed to trunk, does case sensitivity
> become part of this?

From this, I gather you meant to send this to Internals, but
still, I wouldn't anticipate any change in case-sensitivity regarding
any part of the engine that hasn't yet required such. Opening tags,
functions, operators, et cetera. User-defined things like variables
will be case-sensitive, of course, but only the lamest of the lame
would appreciate otherwise. ;-P

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown(a)parasane.net || danbrown(a)php.net
From: Richard Quadling on
On 26 April 2010 15:08, Daniel Brown <danbrown(a)php.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 04:51, Richard Quadling
> <rquadling(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've recently come across some third party code which uses ...
>>
>> <?PHP
>>
>> as the PHP tag.
>>
>> This is the first time I've seen PHP in upper case for the tag.
>>
>> The code works in V5, so, from this, I can assume the tag is read case
>> insensitive.
>>
>> Are there any issues with this when moving forward?
>
>    Glance through some of the user notes on the site and you'll see
> that some folks prefer to use UPPER-CASE <?PHP as opposed to
> lower-case <?php.  It's always worked just fine.  In fact, I remember
> a PHP3 site that someone wrote (.phtml and .php3 files!) that used
> UPPER-CASE in every file, including for variables and functions.  I
> don't remember having to modify that part to work (but thinking how
> much I'd love to break the person's CAPS LOCK off the keyboard
> permanently).
>
>> When Unicode support is re-committed to trunk, does case sensitivity
>> become part of this?
>
>    From this, I gather you meant to send this to Internals, but
> still, I wouldn't anticipate any change in case-sensitivity regarding
> any part of the engine that hasn't yet required such.  Opening tags,
> functions, operators, et cetera.  User-defined things like variables
> will be case-sensitive, of course, but only the lamest of the lame
> would appreciate otherwise.  ;-P
>
> --
> </Daniel P. Brown>
> daniel.brown(a)parasane.net || danbrown(a)php.net
> http://www.parasane.net/ || http://www.pilotpig.net/
> We now offer SAME-DAY SETUP on a new line of servers!

Thanks Dan.

--
-----