From: Ashley Sheridan on
I've been thinking about this problem for a little while, and the thing
is, I can think of ways of doing it, but they're not very nice, and I
don't think they're going to be fast.

Basically, I have a load of HTML formatted content in a database that
get displayed onto the site. It's part of a rudimentary CMS.

Currently, the titles for each article are displayed on a page, and each
title links to the full article. However, that leaves me with a page
which is essentially a list of links, and that's not ideal for SEO. What
I wanted to do to enhance the page is to have a short excerpt of x
number of words/characters beneath each article title. The idea being
that search engines will find the page as more than a link farm, and
visitors won't have to just rely on the title alone for the content.

Here's the rub though. As the content is in HTML form, I can't just grab
the first 100 characters and display them as that could leave an open
tag without a closing one, potentially breaking the page. I could use
strip_tags on the 100-character excerpt, but what if the excerpt itself
broke a tag in half (i.e. <acronym title="something"> could become
<acron )

The only solutions I can see are:

* retrieve the entire article, perform a strip_tags and then take
the excerpt
* use a regex inside of mysql to pull out only the text

The thing is, neither of these seems particularly pretty, and I am sure
there's a better way, but it's too early in the week for my brain to be
fully functional I think!

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do, or do you think I'm
seeing problems where there are none?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Peter Lind on
On 26 April 2010 12:52, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> I've been thinking about this problem for a little while, and the thing
> is, I can think of ways of doing it, but they're not very nice, and I
> don't think they're going to be fast.
>
> Basically, I have a load of HTML formatted content in a database that
> get displayed onto the site. It's part of a rudimentary CMS.
>
> Currently, the titles for each article are displayed on a page, and each
> title links to the full article. However, that leaves me with a page
> which is essentially a list of links, and that's not ideal for SEO. What
> I wanted to do to enhance the page is to have a short excerpt of x
> number of words/characters beneath each article title. The idea being
> that search engines will find the page as more than a link farm, and
> visitors won't have to just rely on the title alone for the content.
>
> Here's the rub though. As the content is in HTML form, I can't just grab
> the first 100 characters and display them as that could leave an open
> tag  without a closing one, potentially breaking the page. I could use
> strip_tags on the 100-character excerpt, but what if the excerpt itself
> broke a tag in half (i.e. <acronym title="something"> could become
> <acron )
>
> The only solutions I can see are:
>

>      * retrieve the entire article, perform a strip_tags and then take
>        the excerpt
>      * use a regex inside of mysql to pull out only the text
>

> The thing is, neither of these seems particularly pretty, and I am sure
> there's a better way, but it's too early in the week for my brain to be
> fully functional I think!
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do, or do you think I'm
> seeing problems where there are none?

Use htmltidy or htmlpurifier to clean up things. I.e. grab the amount
of content you want, then use one of the tools to repair and clean the
html.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Per Jessen on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> Here's the rub though. As the content is in HTML form, I can't just
> grab the first 100 characters and display them as that could leave an=

> open tag without a closing one, potentially breaking the page. I
> could use strip_tags on the 100-character excerpt, but what if the
> excerpt itself broke a tag in half (i.e. <acronym title=3D"something"=
>
> could become <acron )
>=20
> The only solutions I can see are:
>=20
>=20
> * retrieve the entire article, perform a strip_tags and then
> take the excerpt
> * use a regex inside of mysql to pull out only the text
>=20

- parse the HTML and extract the text elements.

If the HTML is well-formed, this is relatively easily done with XSL, if=

not, you might need to use Beautiful Soup or similar.

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (16.1=C2=B0C)

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 13:20 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:

> On 26 April 2010 12:52, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've been thinking about this problem for a little while, and the thing
> > is, I can think of ways of doing it, but they're not very nice, and I
> > don't think they're going to be fast.
> >
> > Basically, I have a load of HTML formatted content in a database that
> > get displayed onto the site. It's part of a rudimentary CMS.
> >
> > Currently, the titles for each article are displayed on a page, and each
> > title links to the full article. However, that leaves me with a page
> > which is essentially a list of links, and that's not ideal for SEO. What
> > I wanted to do to enhance the page is to have a short excerpt of x
> > number of words/characters beneath each article title. The idea being
> > that search engines will find the page as more than a link farm, and
> > visitors won't have to just rely on the title alone for the content.
> >
> > Here's the rub though. As the content is in HTML form, I can't just grab
> > the first 100 characters and display them as that could leave an open
> > tag without a closing one, potentially breaking the page. I could use
> > strip_tags on the 100-character excerpt, but what if the excerpt itself
> > broke a tag in half (i.e. <acronym title="something"> could become
> > <acron )
> >
> > The only solutions I can see are:
> >

> > * retrieve the entire article, perform a strip_tags and then take
> > the excerpt
> > * use a regex inside of mysql to pull out only the text
> >

> > The thing is, neither of these seems particularly pretty, and I am sure
> > there's a better way, but it's too early in the week for my brain to be
> > fully functional I think!
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do, or do you think I'm
> > seeing problems where there are none?
>
> Use htmltidy or htmlpurifier to clean up things. I.e. grab the amount
> of content you want, then use one of the tools to repair and clean the
> html.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>
> --
> <hype>
> WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/plind
> Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fake51
> BeWelcome: Fake51
> Couchsurfing: Fake51
> </hype>

Would that work on content that stopped mid-tag? Assuming the original
copy is:

in the middle of it.</p>

If I was asking for only the first 50 characters, I'd get this:

Would either htmltidy or htmlpurifier be able to handle that? I don't
mind whether it tries to repair the tag or remove it completely, as long
as it does something to it.

From: Peter Lind on
On 26 April 2010 13:23, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 13:20 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:
>
> On 26 April 2010 12:52, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've been thinking about this problem for a little while, and the thing
> > is, I can think of ways of doing it, but they're not very nice, and I
> > don't think they're going to be fast.
> >
> > Basically, I have a load of HTML formatted content in a database that
> > get displayed onto the site. It's part of a rudimentary CMS.
> >
> > Currently, the titles for each article are displayed on a page, and each
> > title links to the full article. However, that leaves me with a page
> > which is essentially a list of links, and that's not ideal for SEO. What
> > I wanted to do to enhance the page is to have a short excerpt of x
> > number of words/characters beneath each article title. The idea being
> > that search engines will find the page as more than a link farm, and
> > visitors won't have to just rely on the title alone for the content.
> >
> > Here's the rub though. As the content is in HTML form, I can't just grab
> > the first 100 characters and display them as that could leave an open
> > tag  without a closing one, potentially breaking the page. I could use
> > strip_tags on the 100-character excerpt, but what if the excerpt itself
> > broke a tag in half (i.e. <acronym title="something"> could become
> > <acron )
> >
> > The only solutions I can see are:
> >

> >      * retrieve the entire article, perform a strip_tags and then take
> >        the excerpt
> >      * use a regex inside of mysql to pull out only the text
> >

> > The thing is, neither of these seems particularly pretty, and I am sure
> > there's a better way, but it's too early in the week for my brain to be
> > fully functional I think!
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do, or do you think I'm
> > seeing problems where there are none?
>
> Use htmltidy or htmlpurifier to clean up things. I.e. grab the amount
> of content you want, then use one of the tools to repair and clean the
> html.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>
> --
> <hype>
> WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/plind
> Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fake51
> BeWelcome: Fake51
> Couchsurfing: Fake51
> </hype>
>

> Would that work on content that stopped mid-tag? Assuming the original copy is:

> If I was asking for only the first 50 characters, I'd get this:

> Would either htmltidy or htmlpurifier be able to handle that? I don't mind whether it tries to repair the tag or remove it completely, as long as it does something to it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

HTMLTidy should definitely do something to it, pretty sure it's able
to clean that up so you get working html. Same for HTMLPurifier (the
latter is not as much what you're looking for, it protects against
injections more than validating html - so disregard that I mentioned
that one for now :) ).

Regards
Peter