From: adacrypt on
On Jul 19, 6:48 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > each message length is calculated at run time and dedicated keys of
> > the bare key-length are used - this as an added foil to
> > cryptanalysis.
>
> > How the cipher works.
>
> > Encryption.
> > [(X +Key) + (X + Plaintext)] (Mod N) = a residue>=0
> > Ciphertext = residue - N
>
> > Decryption.
> > Plaintext (as messagetext) = Ciphertext +2N – Key – 2X = denary
> > representation in ASCII.
>
> > The decryption algorithm is an equation in four unknowns i.e. the
> > Plaintext, the Key, the modulus ‘N’ and X.  Key, N, and X must be
> > supplied so as to evaluate the denary value in ASCII of the Plaintext
> > as messagetext.
>
> > Recapping.
>
> >   X = 14313.
> >   There are 95^2 or 9025 combinations of Key and Plaintext.
> > N = 14250.
> > In passing, the key space is 9025 x 14250 = 128606250 (no significance
> > to this statistic)
>
> > The Worked Example.
> >   Lets say that I want to encrypt the letter capital P which has denary
> > representation of 80 in my plaintext domain of the ASCII printable
> > subset.
>
> > Lets say also that the key that was called by the program is the
> > character @ which has denary representation 64 in ASCII also.
>
> >   The modulus N that was called from the array of N’s is somewhere
> > between 14440 and 28690 (previous work), lets say it is 19653 (a pure
> > guess is ok).
>
> > Then,
> > Encryption.
> >   [(14313 + 64) + (14313 +80)] (Mod 19653) = 9117
> > Ciphertext = -10536
>
> > Decryption.
> >   Plaintext = -10536 + 2 x 19653 – 64 – 2 x 14313 = 80 (as the denary
> > representation)
>
> > The denary representation 80 translates back as capital ‘P’ in ASCII
> > as you would expect.
> > The reader is asked to test as many variations of this encryption
> > example as you wish and let me know if you find anything wrong with
> > it.
>
> > This is a very efficient cipher and much more so than the vector
> > ciphers that are also on the table. The vector ciphers are very
> > elegant although I must admit the ciphertext expansion is pretty
> > great.  I take the view that it is unbreakable security of information
> > at any cost – the cost is not important at national level anyway.
>
> > In practice the ciphertext is always negative so I just treat it as a
> > positive integer while it is in electronic email transit and multiply
> > it by (–1) on arrival.
>
> > There are five versions of this cipher up and running – they are
> > available as a download complete with compiler and PDF from my website
> >http://www.scalarcryptography.co.uk The cipher encryption/decrytpion
> > rate is very high on my home computer – should be very fast in a
> > larger commercial mini computer I think
> > . – cheers - adacrypt- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

Likewise I had better proceed carefully lest there be any damning
misundesrtanding that could scupper the good work - I will take each
point it one at a time'

>1) The partners have agreed on two secret character strings (let's
>name them S1 and S2) each of length 14250.

Yes but this needs explaining. S1 is made up of characters per se and
comprises a multiple ('m' say) of the basic set of the 95 printable
characters of ASCII - it is engineered by first reading in the
plaintext file for encryption and counting the number of characters
in it - this number is then used to determine 'm' explicitly as the
number of round modules of keys from ASCII that will be needed to
encrypt the file of plaintext when they are combined into one set - it
is unlikely that the message length is an exact multiple of the 95
element set so in order to satisfy the caveat that message length and
key length are equal the message is made up by padding with repeats of
some character (like this <<<<) until they are both the same length.

S2 is a set of positive integers but within the stipulated range (X
+127) and 2(X +32) - this set is a fixed length and the elements
being consecutive positive integers are non-repeating) - happily,
subsets of this random set (i.e. in lengths required by shorter
messages) are also random themselves and only part of the set can
safely be used as the random set that is equal to the messagelength.

You will appreciate my great care in preserving randomness.

Important: Both sets S1 and S2 are each simply one permutation that
is possible in the enormous permutation space that is available for
both of them. For instance inthe case of S1 the permutation space of
m modules of 95 is 95! ^m (95 factorial to the power of m) which is an
out-of-this-world large number.

In the case of S2 the permutation space is 14250! (14250 factorial) an
even larger number.

Important: The two sets S1 and S2 are scrambled by a special computer
procedure that requires some understanding by programmers - elements
are swopped around positionally - also the arrays are sliced i.e. the
starting point at which the computer starts reading the keys from
either array is changed each time. All of this is to keep on
reinforcing the randomness and to guard against transparency of keying
data in the mutual databases. Alice decides how the arrays will be
shuffled and sliced and directs Bob to do the same thing exactly - it
works a treat.

I strongly suggest that you mull over this for some time before going
any further - I am here any time you are ready to move on but give
this some thought - This is a very difficult piece of the algoritm.

> (2) One may repeatedly use S1 and S2, e.g. one could use them to send
> 10000 messages of 10000 characters.
Yes but remember to scramble and slice regulary so as to keep a high
level of entanglement that underwrites the randomnes of the key sets.

> (3) X, chosen above satisfying the criterion, is fixed, i.e. constant
> for 'all' messages to be sent in future.

I explained that there are two options here, you can X as a constant
From: adacrypt on
On Jul 19, 8:46 pm, adacrypt <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> data in the mutual databases.  Alice decides how the arrays will be
> shuffled and sliced and directs Bob to do the same thing exactly - it
> works a treat.
>
> I strongly suggest that you mull over this for some time before going
> any further - I am here any time you are ready to move on but give
> this some thought - This is a very difficult piece of the algoritm.
>
> > (2) One may repeatedly use S1 and S2, e.g. one could use them to send
> > 10000 messages of 10000 characters.
>
>  Yes but remember to scramble and slice regulary so as to keep a high
> level of entanglement that underwrites the randomnes of the key sets.
>
> > (3) X, chosen above satisfying the criterion, is fixed, i.e. constant
> > for 'all' messages to be sent in future.
>
> I explained that there are two options here, you can X as a constant- Hide quoted text -

Hi again,

I made a mess of my post here - I'll continue,

> > (3) X, chosen above satisfying the criterion, is fixed, i.e. constant
> > for 'all' messages to be sent in future.

Yes.
I explained that there are two options here, you can compute X as a
large constant value that has 'scope' - i.e use the same large X that
will cover a large range of message lengths within its compass or you
can compute a shorter X dedicated to just the one message in hand -
there might be management reasons for this sometime - any way its
there as an option. I like the large scope X modus operandi - note
that X can be as large as 2147483647 - 63 i.e. the largest positive
integer that the computer (30 bit) can accomodate as the initialised X
- a miilion pages of text ?

>Does "set of N's" imply that there are a number of different values
>of N that will be used (the range of N has been given above)? How
>many N's will be needed for a message of, say, 10000 characters?
>How are they chosen? The partners have certainly to agree on their
>values. How is that done?

10000 - 63 I have explained this already. Why 63 - that's another
story.

How they are chosen is that they 'happen' as a result of the algorithm
that creates them - this is a very difficult thing to grasp - it is
related to the Vigenere square dynamics - I have to keep on refreshing
my own understanding of it quite often even though I invented it.
Once it is understood it can be forgotten. I am suggesting that the
algorithm could be used on its merits without explanation - simply as
the rule of a certain sequence that yields a desired result - finish -
but if you were to teach this stuff you would prefer to expound
properly.

The partners don't agree on anything - Alice is the instigator of a
loop - she calls the shots all the time - she decides on the
scrambling parameters that Bob must use to stay in sync - Bob does
what he is told like a good obedient fella.

It all starts with the desired message capacity as explained - that's
enough for now - hope this helps - cheers - adacrypt

From: Mok-Kong Shen on
adacrypt wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
[snip]

Sorry that at least one more iteration step is needed and I have to
ask a bunch of dumb questions.

> Likewise I had better proceed carefully lest there be any damning
> misundesrtanding that could scupper the good work - I will take each
> point it one at a time'
>
>> 1) The partners have agreed on two secret character strings (let's
>> name them S1 and S2) each of length 14250.
>
> Yes but this needs explaining. S1 is made up of characters per se and
> comprises a multiple ('m' say) of the basic set of the 95 printable
> characters of ASCII - it is engineered by first reading in the
> plaintext file for encryption and counting the number of characters
> in it - this number is then used to determine 'm' explicitly as the
> number of round modules of keys from ASCII that will be needed to
> encrypt the file of plaintext when they are combined into one set - it
> is unlikely that the message length is an exact multiple of the 95
> element set so in order to satisfy the caveat that message length and
> key length are equal the message is made up by padding with repeats of
> some character (like this<<<<) until they are both the same length.

So S1 is not a fixed (i.e. same for all messages) string but is
dependent in some way on the particular message to be processed? Say,
the particular (padded if needed) message has a length L that is a
multiple of 95. How does one do the "engineering" you mentioned? Is it
correct that there is some "raw" secret material SR1 of length 14250
that is fixed and one derives from SR1 a message specific S1 for use?
If yes, how is S1 obtained from SR1?

You wrote:

�N� belongs in the range (X +127) to 2(X+32) i.e. 14440 to 28690.

So S2 consists of N's? Right? Is S2 (for use for a particular message)
of length L or of length 14250? Is it correct that different messages
use different S2? Is S2 for use for a particular message derived
from a "raw" secret material SR2 of length 14250 which is fixed? How
does one derive that?

> You will appreciate my great care in preserving randomness.
>
> Important: Both sets S1 and S2 are each simply one permutation that
> is possible in the enormous permutation space that is available for
> both of them. For instance inthe case of S1 the permutation space of
> m modules of 95 is 95! ^m (95 factorial to the power of m) which is an
> out-of-this-world large number.
>
> In the case of S2 the permutation space is 14250! (14250 factorial) an
> even larger number.

It seems that some permutation processing is involved in what I mention
as "derivations" above. Could you tell concretely the algorithm of
permutation that is used, i.e., given L, how does one exactly obtain S1
and S2 from SR1 and SR2?

> Important: The two sets S1 and S2 are scrambled by a special computer
> procedure that requires some understanding by programmers - elements
> are swopped around positionally - also the arrays are sliced i.e. the
> starting point at which the computer starts reading the keys from
> either array is changed each time. All of this is to keep on
> reinforcing the randomness and to guard against transparency of keying
> data in the mutual databases. Alice decides how the arrays will be
> shuffled and sliced and directs Bob to do the same thing exactly - it
> works a treat.

This doesn't further help much my understanding. I understand that a
secret (kind of key-dependent) permutation does some desired
scrambling. As said above, I like to know how you concretely do the
permutations in obtaining S1 and S2 from SR1 and SR2.

> I strongly suggest that you mull over this for some time before going
> any further - I am here any time you are ready to move on but give
> this some thought - This is a very difficult piece of the algoritm.

That's why I have to ask the many questions above.

>> (2) One may repeatedly use S1 and S2, e.g. one could use them to send
>> 10000 messages of 10000 characters.
> Yes but remember to scramble and slice regulary so as to keep a high
> level of entanglement that underwrites the randomnes of the key sets.

If my view above of "dynamically" deriving S1 and S2 from SR1 and SR2 is
right, then I have understood this.

>> (3) X, chosen above satisfying the criterion, is fixed, i.e. constant
>> for 'all' messages to be sent in future.
>
> I explained that there are two options here, you can X as a constant

So either

(a) X is a constant (agreed upon at the same time as SR1 and SR2) for
all messages, or

(b) X is different for different messages but its value doesn't vary
throught one and the same message (i.e. a constant for each
particular message).

Is that right? How is X chosen by the partners in case (b)? Presumably
using (a) is much weaker than (b). Is (a) permissible at all or do
you consider it to be nonetheless quire safe because of the other
operations present, in particular the permutations mentioned above?

Thanks.

M. K. Shen

From: Mok-Kong Shen on
adacrypt wrote:

> I made a mess of my post here - I'll continue,

I posted my previous post before reading this one of yours. So I'll
also add my comments below.

>>> (3) X, chosen above satisfying the criterion, is fixed, i.e. constant
>>> for 'all' messages to be sent in future.
>
> Yes.
> I explained that there are two options here, you can compute X as a
> large constant value that has 'scope' - i.e use the same large X that
> will cover a large range of message lengths within its compass or you
> can compute a shorter X dedicated to just the one message in hand -
> there might be management reasons for this sometime - any way its
> there as an option. I like the large scope X modus operandi - note
> that X can be as large as 2147483647 - 63 i.e. the largest positive
> integer that the computer (30 bit) can accomodate as the initialised X
> - a miilion pages of text ?

So for messages of length in the range [1,14250], as we have assumed
from the very beginning, from which more precisely specified range
do you randomly pick X?

(The questions in my previous post concerning X remain valid.)

>> Does "set of N's" imply that there are a number of different values
>> of N that will be used (the range of N has been given above)? How
>> many N's will be needed for a message of, say, 10000 characters?
>> How are they chosen? The partners have certainly to agree on their
>> values. How is that done?
>
> 10000 - 63 I have explained this already. Why 63 - that's another
> story.
>
> How they are chosen is that they 'happen' as a result of the algorithm
> that creates them - this is a very difficult thing to grasp - it is
> related to the Vigenere square dynamics - I have to keep on refreshing
> my own understanding of it quite often even though I invented it.
> Once it is understood it can be forgotten. I am suggesting that the
> algorithm could be used on its merits without explanation - simply as
> the rule of a certain sequence that yields a desired result - finish -
> but if you were to teach this stuff you would prefer to expound
> properly.
>
> The partners don't agree on anything - Alice is the instigator of a
> loop - she calls the shots all the time - she decides on the
> scrambling parameters that Bob must use to stay in sync - Bob does
> what he is told like a good obedient fella.
>
> It all starts with the desired message capacity as explained - that's
> enough for now - hope this helps - cheers - adacrypt

I don't want at the present stage of attempting to understand your
algorithm as such to question the "rationale" of your design. So
for a message of length 10000 there are 10000 - 63 N's. These make
up S2. Different messages of length 10000 have different sets
of 10000 - 63 N's. Right? How are they chosen for a specific
message of length 10000? How many N's are the for a message
of length, say, 20? (20 - 63 would be negative!)

Thanks.

M. K. Shen

From: adacrypt on
On Jul 19, 10:07 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> adacrypt wrote:
> > I made a mess of my post here - I'll continue,
>
> I posted my previous post before reading this one of yours. So I'll
> also add my comments below.

> > Yes.
> > I explained that there are two options here, you can compute X as a
> > large constant value that has 'scope' - i.e use the same large X that
> > will cover a large range of message lengths within its compass or you
> > can compute a shorter X dedicated to just the one message in hand -
> > there might be management reasons for this sometime - any way its
> > there as an option.  I like the large scope X modus operandi - note
> > that X can be as large as 2147483647 - 63  i.e. the largest positive
> > integer that the computer (30 bit) can accomodate as the initialised X
> > - a miilion pages of text ?
>
> So for messages of length in the range [1,14250], as we have assumed
> from the very beginning, from which more precisely specified range
> do you randomly pick X?
>
> (The questions in my previous post concerning X remain valid.)
>

> >> Does "set of N's" imply that there are a number of different values
> >> of N that will be used (the range of N has been given above)? How
> >> many N's will be needed for a message of, say, 10000 characters?
> >> How are they chosen? The partners have certainly to agree on their
> >> values. How is that done?
>
> > 10000 - 63  I have explained this already. Why 63 - that's another
> > story.
>
> > How they are chosen is that they 'happen' as a result of the algorithm
> > that creates them - this is a very difficult thing to grasp - it is
> > related to the Vigenere square dynamics - I have to keep on refreshing
> > my own understanding of it quite often even though I invented it.
> > Once it is understood it can be forgotten.  I am suggesting that the
> > algorithm could be used on its merits without explanation - simply as
> > the rule of a certain sequence that yields a desired result - finish -
> > but if you were to teach this stuff you would prefer to expound
> > properly.
>
> > The partners don't agree on anything - Alice is the instigator of a
> > loop - she calls the shots all the time - she decides on the
> > scrambling parameters that Bob must use to stay in sync - Bob does
> > what he is told like a good obedient fella.
>
> > It all starts with the desired message capacity as explained - that's
> > enough for now - hope this helps - cheers - adacrypt
>
> I don't want at the present stage of attempting to understand your
> algorithm as such to question the "rationale" of your design. So
> for a message of length 10000 there are 10000 - 63 N's. These make
> up S2. Different messages of length 10000 have different sets
> of 10000 - 63 N's. Right? How are they chosen for a specific
> message of length 10000? How many N's are the for a message
> of length, say, 20? (20 - 63 would be negative!)
>
> Thanks.
>
> M. K. Shen- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

>So S1 is not a fixed (i.e. same for all messages) string but is
>dependent in some way on the particular message to be processed? Say,
>the particular (padded if needed) message has a length L that is a
>multiple of 95. How does one do the "engineering" you mentioned? Is it
>correct that there is some "raw" secret material SR1 of length 14250
>that is fixed and one derives from SR1 a message specific S1 for use?
>If yes, how is S1 obtained from SR1?

No problem - you are getting there rapidly.

Yes - S1 is not a fixed string but is contrived (engineered) to be the
same length as the messagelength.
If it happens that the message for encryption is already a round
multiple of 95 then this is good luck and no 'engineering' is
necessary.
There is no engineering as such to be done - this in retrospect was an
unfortunate choice of words by me to cover the act of counting and
then computing 'm' the multiplier of 95 - the characters are simply
counted as they are read in from an external file or from the keyboard
- in passing this latter is done by the keyboard operator who does not
need to know anything about cryptography (any cryptography).

No there is no raw secret material SR1 whatever - there is only the
perfectly open set of printable ASCII only that is available to
everyone - S1 is created as described - talk again - adacrypt