From: Scotius on
I've recovered "deleted" images on my computer before. Windows
doesn't really "delete" anything on it's own.
My Nikon D3000 has a 2 Gig memory card in it, and I just
formatted it a little while ago, without making sure that all the
images of a family reunion had transferred to the computer before
doing so (last time I do that).
It seems to me though that it "formats" awfully fast. Does it
really format, or just say everything's deleted and over-write it
later? If I use a file recovery program on it, will it work, and if
so, can someone please recommend one?
From: nospam on
In article <4s5h565idkmvivgj1ad07e5thp9u9p1od8(a)4ax.com>, Scotius
<yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote:

> I've recovered "deleted" images on my computer before. Windows
> doesn't really "delete" anything on it's own.
> My Nikon D3000 has a 2 Gig memory card in it, and I just
> formatted it a little while ago, without making sure that all the
> images of a family reunion had transferred to the computer before
> doing so (last time I do that).
> It seems to me though that it "formats" awfully fast. Does it
> really format, or just say everything's deleted and over-write it
> later? If I use a file recovery program on it, will it work, and if
> so, can someone please recommend one?

the pictures are still there. there are many tools to recover them,
including photorescue which works quite well.

<http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/>
From: Scotius on
On 4 Aug 2010 01:06:26 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:17:44 +0000, ray wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:28:07 -0400, Scotius wrote:
>>
>>> I've recovered "deleted" images on my computer before. Windows doesn't
>>> really "delete" anything on it's own.
>>> My Nikon D3000 has a 2 Gig memory card in it, and I just
>>> formatted it a little while ago, without making sure that all the
>>> images of a family reunion had transferred to the computer before doing
>>> so (last time I do that).
>>> It seems to me though that it "formats" awfully fast. Does it
>>> really format, or just say everything's deleted and over-write it
>>> later? If I use a file recovery program on it, will it work, and if so,
>>> can someone please recommend one?
>>
>> If you've not placed any additional files on the card, you should be
>> able to resurrect them - but unless you're a computer scientist, it will
>> probably require some software assistance.
>
>To elaborate a little, when the camera does a format of a card, it does
>not erase the card. It resets flags in the directory and file allocation
>table to indicate that the space formerly occupied by photos is again
>available - it does not do anything to the actual photos - until you take
>some new ones, at which point old data is overwritten.

Thanks much.