From: Leigh Johnston on
"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

> "Leigh Johnston" <leigh(a)i42.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

>>> I will be implementing a utf8string to supplement std::string and will
>>> be using a regular expression to quickly divide up UTF-8 bytes into
>>> Unicode CodePoints.
>>>
>>> Since there are no UTF-8 groups, or even Unicode groups I must post
>>> these questions to groups that are at most indirectly related to this
>>> subject matter.
>>
>> Wrong: off-topic is off-topic. If I chose to write a Tetris game in C++
>> it would be inappropriate to ask about the rules of Tetris in this
>> newsgroup even if there was not a more appropriate newsgroup.
>>
>> /Leigh
>
> I think that posting to the next most relevant group(s) where a directly
> relevant group does not exist is right, and thus you are simply wrong.

From this newsgroup's FAQ:

"Only post to comp.lang.c++ if your question is about the C++ language
itself."

Thus I am simply correct?

/Leigh

From: Ian Collins on
On 05/14/10 08:06 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
> Is this Regular Expression for UTF-8 Correct??

It's a fair bet you are off-topic in all the groups you have cross
posted to. Why don't you pick a group for a language with built in UTF8
and regexp support (PHP?) and badger them?

--
Ian Collins
From: Peter Olcott on

> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Leigh Johnston" <leigh(a)i42.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message

>>> Wrong: off-topic is off-topic. If I chose to write a
>>> Tetris game in C++ it would be inappropriate to ask
>>> about the rules of Tetris in this newsgroup even if
>>> there was not a more appropriate newsgroup.
>>>
>>> /Leigh
>>
>> I think that posting to the next most relevant group(s)
>> where a directly relevant group does not exist is right,
>> and thus you are simply wrong.
>
> From this newsgroup's FAQ:
>
> "Only post to comp.lang.c++ if your question is about the
> C++ language itself."
>
> Thus I am simply correct?
>
> /Leigh

I can not accept that the "correct" answer is that some
questions can not be asked.

From: Peter Olcott on

"Ian Collins" <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 05/14/10 08:06 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
>> Is this Regular Expression for UTF-8 Correct??
>
> It's a fair bet you are off-topic in all the groups you
> have cross posted to. Why don't you pick a group for a
> language with built in UTF8 and regexp support (PHP?) and
> badger them?
>
> --
> Ian Collins

What does this question have to do with the C++ language?

At least my question is indirectly related to C++ by making
a utf8string for the C++ language from the regular
expression.

Your question is not even indirectly related to the C++
language.

From: Kai-Uwe Bux on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> "Leigh Johnston" <leigh(a)i42.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
[... on topicality of regular expressions ...]
>> From this newsgroup's FAQ:
>>
>> "Only post to comp.lang.c++ if your question is about the
>> C++ language itself."
>>
>> Thus I am simply correct?
>>
>> /Leigh
>
> I can not accept that the "correct" answer is that some
> questions can not be asked.

a) Whether you can accept that answer or not, it could still be correct.

b) However, it isn't: the question can be asked. It should just be asked
_elsewhere_. May I suggest comp.programming, where it seems to be on-topic.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux