From: Mihai N. on

> Also, what do you call "Pure ASCII?" Is it 7 bit or 8 bit? UTF-7?

Plain ASCII: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII
7 bit. And definitely not UTF-7.

Personally, I have never felt the need to use variable names
in a language other than English.
Even in school, or later in my full time job.
Although you can write Romanian with plain ASCII (there are 5
characters that will be missing diacritics, but you can understand)
for some reason I have my variable names and comments were always
English.

There was no intention to sharing that code, at least not with
non-Romanin speakers.

I think that in order to want something else you need to come from
a "big language"
Romania is small enough that is was not worth translating much, or
cutting edge stuff. So if you wanted to learn something, then you
better read it in English :-)
And I can't complain. That's how I got access to Knuth, Dr. Dobbs,
found out about STL, and all kind of things that got mainstream
only years later.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

From: Hector Santos on
Mihai N. wrote:

> Personally, I have never felt the need to use variable names
> in a language other than English.
> Even in school, or later in my full time job.
> Although you can write Romanian with plain ASCII (there are 5
> characters that will be missing diacritics, but you can understand)
> for some reason I have my variable names and comments were always
> English.
>
> There was no intention to sharing that code, at least not with
> non-Romanin speakers.
>
> I think that in order to want something else you need to come from
> a "big language"
> Romania is small enough that is was not worth translating much, or
> cutting edge stuff. So if you wanted to learn something, then you
> better read it in English :-)
> And I can't complain. That's how I got access to Knuth, Dr. Dobbs,
> found out about STL, and all kind of things that got mainstream
> only years later.

Back then, it was a good idea (and probably still today) to learn
programming/communications in English (or US market). You made the
right move.

--
HLS
From: Mihai N. on

> Back then, it was a good idea (and probably still today) to learn
> programming/communications in English (or US market). You made the
> right move.

Yes, I think it is still the case.
And with the current markets, where you get to work with people from all
over the world, I don't look with too much sympathy at efforts to
support non-Latin scripts in IDs. Even have something against using them
in comments (as one who had to debug an application with most of the
stuff in Russian :-)

Same for documentation. Does one really expect to see all the MSDN
translated in all languages? Or program just based on a translated book?
If you don't know English, then you don't have much chances to be a
good programmer (at least for some technologies, like Win or Mac
programming).
Might be sad, but true.