From: yaugin on
Recently purchased a dud cable from an ebay seller. However, more than
it not working, I am starting to suspect that it's fake. It has a
standard VGA dsub connector on one end, and a composite RCA video jack
on the other end. The supposed function was to plug the dsub connector
to a PC video card and the RCA jack to a TV for output. There's
actually two output options, as there is an S-Video connector as well
attached by a parallel wire.

There's no indication of any transcoding circuit present on either
wire, and all the connectors are standard size so I don't see that
they could be housing such a unit. And upon closer inspection of the
cabling itself, the printing on it says "USB CABLE". And without a
transcoder I don't believe it's possible to convert anything from a
VGA connector to anything with a composite connector because the
respective equipment is working in different color spaces. So I'm
guessing that there's really no function to the cable at all, it was
just hacked together from surplus parts.

I'm just curious to know if my suspicions are justified. Here is a
photo.

http://img15.imageshack.us/i/fakecable.jpg/
From: david on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:05:33 -0700, yaugin rearranged some electrons to
say:

> Recently purchased a dud cable from an ebay seller. However, more than
> it not working, I am starting to suspect that it's fake. It has a
> standard VGA dsub connector on one end, and a composite RCA video jack
> on the other end. The supposed function was to plug the dsub connector
> to a PC video card and the RCA jack to a TV for output. There's actually
> two output options, as there is an S-Video connector as well attached by
> a parallel wire.
>
> There's no indication of any transcoding circuit present on either wire,
> and all the connectors are standard size so I don't see that they could
> be housing such a unit. And upon closer inspection of the cabling
> itself, the printing on it says "USB CABLE". And without a transcoder I
> don't believe it's possible to convert anything from a VGA connector to
> anything with a composite connector because the respective equipment is
> working in different color spaces. So I'm guessing that there's really
> no function to the cable at all, it was just hacked together from
> surplus parts.
>
> I'm just curious to know if my suspicions are justified. Here is a
> photo.
>
> http://img15.imageshack.us/i/fakecable.jpg/

It's a real cable, but it won't work, unless your video card has the
capability to generate composite video (unlikely).

Google is your friend.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?
c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040113&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=2

From: david on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 00:59:37 +0000, david rearranged some electrons to
say:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:05:33 -0700, yaugin rearranged some electrons to
> say:
>
>> Recently purchased a dud cable from an ebay seller. However, more than
>> it not working, I am starting to suspect that it's fake. It has a
>> standard VGA dsub connector on one end, and a composite RCA video jack
>> on the other end. The supposed function was to plug the dsub connector
>> to a PC video card and the RCA jack to a TV for output. There's
>> actually two output options, as there is an S-Video connector as well
>> attached by a parallel wire.
>>
>> There's no indication of any transcoding circuit present on either
>> wire, and all the connectors are standard size so I don't see that they
>> could be housing such a unit. And upon closer inspection of the cabling
>> itself, the printing on it says "USB CABLE". And without a transcoder I
>> don't believe it's possible to convert anything from a VGA connector to
>> anything with a composite connector because the respective equipment is
>> working in different color spaces. So I'm guessing that there's really
>> no function to the cable at all, it was just hacked together from
>> surplus parts.
>>
>> I'm just curious to know if my suspicions are justified. Here is a
>> photo.
>>
>> http://img15.imageshack.us/i/fakecable.jpg/
>
> It's a real cable, but it won't work, unless your video card has the
> capability to generate composite video (unlikely).
>
> Google is your friend.
>
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?
> c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040113&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=2

From the link above:

"MPORTANT, Please READ! Before Buying.
This item is a VGA VIDEO Card to S. Video or Composite TV Adapter Cable.
Use it to connect the video card on your computer to a TV input. Your
video card MUST be able to support s-Video or Composite out through it's
VGA port. This is known as a TV out function. If you don't know if your
video card can do this, then call the card manufacturer and ask them
"Does my video card support S-Video or Composite Video out through its
VGA port?" If it does, then buy this adapter. If not, then use Product #
4724 http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=4724

Connector: VGA(HD15) Male to S-Video Female and RCA(Composite) Jack
Cable: UL 2919 Coaxial Low Voltage Cable

It will work with VGA cards that have TV-Out function capability through
the VGA connector.
Check your Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA
card has TV-Out function capability.

IMPORTANT:

* THIS ADAPTER WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT CONVERT AN S-VIDEO OR COMPOSITE
VIDEO SIGNAL TO VGA. IT WILL NOT WORK BACKWARDS.
* YOU CAN NOT USE IT TO DRIVE A VGA COMPUTER MONITOR WITH A CONSUMER
ELECTRONICS DEVICE SUCH AS A DVD PLAYER OR VCR.
* IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH NETBOOKS OR ANY CURRENT GRAPHIC CHIPSET."

So there, if you bought it, then you should have read the fine print
first.
From: John Doe on
david <none nospam.com> wrote:

> david rearranged some electrons to say:

>> Google is your friend.

If you enjoy UseNet, Google is your enemy too.

> So there, if you bought it, then you should have read the fine
> print first.

That depends on how the item was described in the normal print.
That also depends on whether the eBay seller hides details in a
tediously long item description full of advertising for the
seller's business. Then again, to be safe when dealing with eBay,
you should just avoid anything you are not familiar with. EBay is
like the Mos Eisley spaceport in Star Wars.

From: Paul on
yaugin wrote:
> Recently purchased a dud cable from an ebay seller. However, more than
> it not working, I am starting to suspect that it's fake. It has a
> standard VGA dsub connector on one end, and a composite RCA video jack
> on the other end. The supposed function was to plug the dsub connector
> to a PC video card and the RCA jack to a TV for output. There's
> actually two output options, as there is an S-Video connector as well
> attached by a parallel wire.
>
> There's no indication of any transcoding circuit present on either
> wire, and all the connectors are standard size so I don't see that
> they could be housing such a unit. And upon closer inspection of the
> cabling itself, the printing on it says "USB CABLE". And without a
> transcoder I don't believe it's possible to convert anything from a
> VGA connector to anything with a composite connector because the
> respective equipment is working in different color spaces. So I'm
> guessing that there's really no function to the cable at all, it was
> just hacked together from surplus parts.
>
> I'm just curious to know if my suspicions are justified. Here is a
> photo.
>
> http://img15.imageshack.us/i/fakecable.jpg/

To drive a TV set, with composite, requires an interleaved frame
format for the signal. That kind of "passive" cable, requires
that the video card have a special output mode, just to drive
the cable. Some old laptops supported that, but I'm still
waiting for an example of it actually working.

Ebay and other sources, sell a ton of those cables, and the
landfill sites must be full of them. For most people, a cable
of that particular design, is a waste of money. You need
documentation for your computer or its video card, where
that specific operating mode is mentioned, before you
buy that cable.

*******

If you want better odds of success, you need an active device,
such as a "Scan Converter". Scan conversion is never a high
quality proposition, so if you find people who actually like
the output they're getting, then buy it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158142

There are other products like that on Newegg, where the reviews
aren't quite so glowing.

The price has come down on scan converters, so now you can make
a $40 mistake, rather than a $200 mistake. That's progress...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815276011

I think I've seen that particular one for sale before on some
web sites. It has the adjustment buttons on the side.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-276-011-S11?$S640W$

HTH,
Paul