From: J055 on
Hi

I want to setup the following in IIS 7.0:

1. Create a website for anonymous access.
2. Allow the application restricted access to certain folders on the server,
i.e. this asp script should give a permissions error:

<%

response.write ShowFolderList ("c:\windows\")

Function ShowFolderList(folderspec)
Dim fso, f, f1, fc, s
Set f = fso.GetFolder(folderspec)
Set fc = f.SubFolders
For Each f1 in fc
s = s & f1.name
s = s & "<BR>"
Next
ShowFolderList = s
End Function

%>

I created an account called IUSR_Test and added it to the website root
folder, then changed the website anonymous user identity to use this
specific user. I can still browse to the asp web page and get a list of
files in 'c:\windows'.

I tried changing the website app pool identity to the same account but I can
still browse the windows folder. The IUSR_Test account is not in any groups.

What am I doing wrong and what's the best way to set up this kind of website
isolation?

Many thanks
Andrew

From: Ken Schaefer on
IUSR_test would be in the built-in Users group.

Removing the Read permission for the Users group to c:\windows is probably
not advisable. Instead, try adding a specific Deny Read for your test user
account, and see if that solves the problem.

Cheers
Ken

http://adOpenStatic.com/blog

From: Pablo A. Allois on
The only way that I find is what Ken said.

I create a group like RestrictedUsers, added the anonymous users of the web
applications to the group, and then start putting Deny to the group in any
folder that I can.

But, you will have some problems with the denies for example:
- For applications of Framework, the anonymouse user must need access to
frameworks folders and write access to temporary folders.
- Websites that use mdb will need to write in C:\windows\temp
- PHP application need to write in C:\windows\temp
- .NET will need read in C:\windows\assembly
- Some actions with files, will need to Read over the operating system dsk
I think that procmon will be a very useful application for this task.

After that you will have a worst problem .... the web application can act
like the user of the application pool ... so, after you tune the server
limiting the anonymouse user, you have to limit the user of the application
pool.

Saludos!