From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 18:14 -0400, Daniel P. Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 17:59, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > echo 'password' | mysql -u root -p < query
>
> If you're going to do the password in plain text from the command
> line like that (which is a bad idea), you don't need to pipe an echo.
> Just type:
>
> mysql -u root -ppassword < query
>
> As long as there's no space between the -p flag and your password,
> you're good to go. Still, not only is it a horrible idea, it's far
> worse if it's your MySQL root. Far, far, FAR worse if it's the same
> as your system root. You belong in jail --- no, *hell* --- if the
> MySQL and system root passwords are the same, and you have remote root
> login enabled with password authentication.

To both David and Daniel, thank you! How on earth I ever missed that
argument before is a wonder known only to the great electronic deity in
the sky!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Daniel P. Brown" on
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 18:17, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> To both David and Daniel, thank you! How on earth I ever missed that argument before is a wonder known only to the great electronic deity in the sky!

Hey, Daevid: you may have been thanked first, but at least my name
was spelled correctly.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
UNADVERTISED DEDICATED SERVER SPECIALS
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 18:22 -0400, Daniel P. Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 18:17, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > To both David and Daniel, thank you! How on earth I ever missed that argument before is a wonder known only to the great electronic deity in the sky!
>
> Hey, Daevid: you may have been thanked first, but at least my name
> was spelled correctly.
>
> --
> </Daniel P. Brown>
> UNADVERTISED DEDICATED SERVER SPECIALS
> SAME-DAY SETUP
> Just ask me what we're offering today!
> daniel.brown(a)parasane.net || danbrown(a)php.net
> http://www.parasane.net/ || http://www.pilotpig.net/

Sorry Daevid, blame it on the wine I've been drinking! It is a Friday
after all!

From: tedd on
At 6:11 PM -0400 8/13/10, Daniel P. Brown wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 17:48, tedd <tedd(a)sperling.com> wrote:
>>
>> SELECT * FROM table_reference INTO OUTFILE 'file_name'
>>
>> It looked to be bit simpler/shorter than my code, so I tried it. But it
>> reports:
>>
>> Access denied for user 'me'@'localhost' (using password: YES).
>>
>> I suspect that the "access being denied" is because MySQL doesn't have
>> permission to create the output file. The MySQL manual reports: 1) that a
>> file cannot be present; 2) AND MySQL must have file privileges to create the
>> file -- but I don't know how to set that up.
>
> No, the 'access denied' message means that either the username or
>password is incorrect, or that the given user doesn't have permission
>to access the given database on the given host.

Daniel :

I don't think so and here's my reasoning.

You see in the same script, I tested the connection to the database
with a query *before* the OUTFILE statement and it worked! If the
username and/or password had been wrong, then it would have also
failed. Here's the demo:

http://php1.net/c/db-dump/db-2-dir.php

Please note that the string 'BKohl41' noted is the result of a query
to the same database *before* the OUTFILE query.

As far as I can tell, the MySQL statement does not have permission to
create a file and that's the problem as I see it.

I shall test Daevid's "GRANT SELECT, FILE ON mydb.table_reference TO
'me'@'localhost';" statement tomorrow -- it looks promising.

As for the:

"You know you can pass that on the command line right and avoid this pipe
business?"

No, I don't know how to do that.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: chris h on
Tedd I don't know if this will resolve your issue or not, but have you
looked into using mysqldump?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html

That's what I use for my backups.

Chris.