From: Joe Matise on
Thanks, Mikeeee! Sounds interesting... not sure yet whether I'll be able to
make SGF'10 but will certainly be at the lunch if I can :)

However, I do hope that the lunch location does not commit the faux pas of
placing the dessert fork in the primary place setting. Dessert cutlery
should always come out with the dessert plate itself, so as to not clutter
up the place setting, and to be the appropriate temperature for the dessert
[often chilled, for cheesecakes and other cold desserts that would be
damaged by a warm fork].

See for example http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/table_settings_formal.htm:)

-Joe

From: Michael Raithel on
Dear SAS-L-ers,

The inimitable Joe Matise posted the following:

> Thanks, Mikeeee! Sounds interesting... not sure yet whether I'll be
> able to
> make SGF'10 but will certainly be at the lunch if I can :)
>
> However, I do hope that the lunch location does not commit the faux pas
> of
> placing the dessert fork in the primary place setting. Dessert cutlery
> should always come out with the dessert plate itself, so as to not
> clutter
> up the place setting, and to be the appropriate temperature for the
> dessert
> [often chilled, for cheesecakes and other cold desserts that would be
> damaged by a warm fork].
>
> See for example
> http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/table_settings_formal.htm:)

Joe, it is hard to post a posting that argues with Emily Post. However, most banquet-sized luncheons that I have attended make the very "faux pas" that you alluded to in the interest of expediting serving a large room full of hungry conference-goers. Consequently, I usually see the following setting:

http://www.table-settings-with-pictures.com/etiquette-for-proper-table-setting.html

And, that is what I am expecting, next April. Only time will tell; but, let's hope that a warm fork does not spoil the Lemon Raspberry Cake:-)

I will save a seat at my table for you.

Joe, best of luck in all of your SAS endeavors!

Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment

Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the OS/390 and z/OS Environments, Second Edition
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58172

Author: The Complete Guide to SAS Indexes
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=60409

Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others.
If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter
what fork you use. - Emily Post
From: "Teed, Lionel" on
The right fork, aren't forks on the left?

And based on my limited knowledge, the desert cutlery can be present on the table for an 'informal' setting, and I would think that a convention lunch is considered informal.

Lionel
416 982 6763

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This email transmission may contain confidential information. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient. Thank you for your compliance. Copyright 2009 CIGNA