From: Bill Sharpe on
On 2/19/2010 9:00 AM, apistomaster(nospam) wrote:
> On Feb 19, 8:19 am, Nil<redno...(a)REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>> On 18 Feb 2010, "Tony"<TonyBat...(a)tesco.net> wrote in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>>
>>> I see that J K Defrag has been replaced my My Defrag - Is it still
>>> a good defrag program or are there better ones?
>>
>> I don't know if others are "better", but MyDefrag works very well.
>
> In what way(s) are third party defrag programs better than the native
> defrag function in XP?
> Defragging doesn't increase the available disc space, right?
> It just consolidates fragmented files.
> So why add what seems to me to be a redundant utility that takes some
> small decrease of space on the hard drive?

MyDefrag includes many more features and is much more customizable than
Windows built-in defragger. See the detailed help file that comes with
the program. There are scripts supplied for analyze only, defrag only,
fast optimize, slow optimize, fast update, force together, move to end
of disk, sort by creation time, sort by last access, sort by last
change, sort by name, and sort by size.

The MyDefrag files take up 2.5 mb on my 250 gb hard disk, certainly not
much of a dent in space.

Bill
From: Nil on
On 19 Feb 2010, "apistomaster(nospam)" <apistomaster(a)clearwire.net>
wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> So why add what seems to me to be a redundant utility that takes some
> small decrease of space on the hard drive?

More features, more control, faster.

Why use Dreamweaver when you have Notepad? Why use Winword when you
have Wordpad? Why use Protools when you have Sound Recorder? Why use
Photoshop when you have Paint? Why play "World of Warcraft" when you've
got FreeCell?
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Windows XP Quick Launch bar