From: Sat on
I installed Windows Small Business Server 2003. Inorder to join a workgroup
domain, I went to System Properties --> Computer Name and clicked on change.
It showed a dialog that the domain controllers cannot be moved from one
domain to another, they must first be demoted.

In the computer name changes page, the "Member of" group box is disabled.

How do I join a workgroup domain?

Thanks.
From: Merv Porter [SBS-MVP] on
Do you mean that you have an existing domain server (not in a workgroup, but
actually a domain using Active Directory)? If so,

How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory
domain
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us

--
Merv Porter [SBS MVP]
===================================

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on

In news:B16BCE86-4401-4B37-B49F-FDF25F8947B7(a)microsoft.com,
Sat <Sat(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I installed Windows Small Business Server 2003. Inorder to join a
> workgroup domain, I went to System Properties --> Computer Name and
> clicked on change. It showed a dialog that the domain controllers
> cannot be moved from one domain to another, they must first be
> demoted.

That's right.

> In the computer name changes page, the "Member of" group box is
> disabled.

You can't change the name or domain membership of your server like this.

> How do I join a workgroup domain?

There's no such thing. Either you're in a workgroup, or you're in a domain.

> Thanks.

What is it you're trying to do? You can't use SBS in a workgroup. You have
to use it as a DC, in its own AD domain, and there are all sorts of other
rules. Sounds like you might need to do some reading on what it is you've
bought & installed before you poke around in it any further.... :)

From: Sat on
Sorry, I meant Workgroup, not workgroup domain.
What does DC and AD mean in
"You have to use it as a DC, in its own AD domain"

Thanks

From: Merv Porter [SBS-MVP] on
DC = Domain Controller. A specially-configured server. Among other things,
it stores system-wide user account information, authenticates users and
enforces security policies for a Windows domain.

AD = Active Directory. A network service that identifies all resources on a
network and makes them accessible to users and applications. Resources
include e-mail addresses, computers, and peripheral devices such as
printers.

Out of the box, SBS 2003 is installed as a Domain Controller. Your existing
workstations (and "workgroup" servers, if you have any) are then joined to
that "domain".

I'm curious as to what you expected when you bought SBS 2003 and what you
really wanted to accomplish with it. Could you please explain a little more
about your situation and present network setup (workstations, servers,
routers, etc.)?

--
Merv Porter [SBS MVP]