From: NickC on
Huh, well, here's something I didn't think about.

I recently got an old copy of "Joy of C", 3rd Ed., and am reacquainting
myself with C after a decade or so. Am enjoying it much more than I
thought I would; it's quite refreshing dealing with things in simplicity
and straightforwardness, rather than rapid builder toolkits and layers of
abstraction.

For a little interlude, it's very nice.

So, what I didn't think about when I got the book was that none of my
machines have a floppy drive anymore, so I can't just pop in the book's
handy floppy disk and read the book's source code. And the book's original
website is now non-existent.

If anyone knows an online source for the book's source code, would much
appreciate it.

[Here's another thing, quite unbelievable I know, but true.

There are NO public torrents with the 'Joy of C' code. Just what are
these pirates doing?! Pr0ning themselves stupid, I guess.]

Many thanks,
--
NickC
From: WANG Cong on
On 12/06/09 07:27, NickC <reply-to(a)works.fine.invalid> wrote:

> Huh, well, here's something I didn't think about.
>
> I recently got an old copy of "Joy of C", 3rd Ed., and am reacquainting
> myself with C after a decade or so. Am enjoying it much more than I
> thought I would; it's quite refreshing dealing with things in simplicity
> and straightforwardness, rather than rapid builder toolkits and layers of
> abstraction.
>
> For a little interlude, it's very nice.
>
> So, what I didn't think about when I got the book was that none of my
> machines have a floppy drive anymore, so I can't just pop in the book's
> handy floppy disk and read the book's source code. And the book's original
> website is now non-existent.
>
> If anyone knows an online source for the book's source code, would much
> appreciate it.

Maybe you need to contact the publisher for this.

http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047112933X,descCd-tableOfContents.html

--
Live like a child, think like the god.

From: jaialai technology on
On Dec 5, 6:27 pm, NickC <reply...(a)works.fine.invalid> wrote:
> Huh, well, here's something I didn't think about.
>
> I recently got an old copy of "Joy of C", 3rd Ed., and am reacquainting
> myself with C after a decade or so.  Am enjoying it much more than I
> thought I would; it's quite refreshing dealing with things in simplicity
> and straightforwardness, rather than rapid builder toolkits and layers of
> abstraction.
>
> For a little interlude, it's very nice.
>
> So, what I didn't think about when I got the book was that none of my
> machines have a floppy drive anymore, so I can't just pop in the book's
> handy floppy disk and read the book's source code. And the book's original
> website is now non-existent.
>
> If anyone knows an online source for the book's source code, would much
> appreciate it.
>
> [Here's another thing, quite unbelievable I know, but true.
>
> There are NO public torrents with the 'Joy of C' code.  Just what are
> these pirates doing?!  Pr0ning themselves stupid, I guess.]

Have you tried www.archive.org to see if they have a stored copy of
the old website?
From: NickC on
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 20:33:36 -0800, jaialai technology wrote:

> Have you tried www.archive.org to see if they have a stored copy of the
> old website?

Thanks, that's a useful website. Turns out it has some of the original
site, but not the source code.

--
NickC
From: NickC on
On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 12:04:26 +0800, WANG Cong wrote:

> Maybe you need to contact the publisher for this.
>
> http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047112933X,descCd-
tableOfContents.html

Yes, thanks, thought of that, but the site says they no longer stock the
book, and I don't want to cause them any work.

I won't bother any further, I'll just type in those examples I want and
leave the rest. If I really want it, I can visit a friend who has a
floppy drive, I just thought the web might be quicker.

--
NickC