From: R on
Need help....after installing the last update my monitor now has a 1-2"
vertical (white) band on my monitor. This is a Sony Vaio laptop and when I
first turn it on and the vaio screen starts the band is not there, it starts
to appear when the windows screen appears. Any thoughts on what I need to do
to fix this????
From: Shenan Stanley on
R wrote:
> Need help....after installing the last update my monitor now has a
> 1-2" vertical (white) band on my monitor. This is a Sony Vaio
> laptop and when I first turn it on and the vaio screen starts the
> band is not there, it starts to appear when the windows screen
> appears. Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix this????

Do not install Hardware Driver Updates for non-Microsoft hardware from
Microsoft. They did not create nor do they support third party products
such as your video card, etc.

In your case:

Visit the video card manufacturer's support/download web page and download
the latest version of the driver for your video device and your OS and
install it. Then change your resolution and video refresh rate to the
monitor in questsions native format (only you and your manufacturer's know
this given what you have so far.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: R on

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> R wrote:
> > Need help....after installing the last update my monitor now has a
> > 1-2" vertical (white) band on my monitor. This is a Sony Vaio
> > laptop and when I first turn it on and the vaio screen starts the
> > band is not there, it starts to appear when the windows screen
> > appears. Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix this????
>
> Do not install Hardware Driver Updates for non-Microsoft hardware from
> Microsoft. They did not create nor do they support third party products
> such as your video card, etc.
>
> In your case:
>
> Visit the video card manufacturer's support/download web page and download
> the latest version of the driver for your video device and your OS and
> install it. Then change your resolution and video refresh rate to the
> monitor in questsions native format (only you and your manufacturer's know
> this given what you have so far.)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> Thanks for the post. First I don't arbitrarily download updates, this update was from MS. The gold shield appeared after 8 June as it normally does when there is an "Automatic Update". These updates did not install until the next day that I can tell because upon instituting shut down the "do not turn off your computer....__ of 17 updates are installing). When receiving MS updates I always use the automatic installations. Are you saying that this update had a driver update that I should not have installed?
I did go to Sony's web site and checked for updates to my nVIDIA.
Also, while working on a fix I contacted Sony this morning with the problem
I am having. The customer support person I spoke with was taken back when I
explained my problem; she had received a call yesterday with the same EXACT
problem and it appeared after the MS UPDATE LAST WEEK. Not a coincidence

From: Shenan Stanley on

R wrote:
> I did go to Sony's web site and checked for updates to my nVIDIA.
> Also, while working on a fix I contacted Sony this morning with the
> problem I am having. The customer support person I spoke with was
> taken back when I explained my problem; she had received a call
> yesterday with the same EXACT problem and it appeared after the MS
> UPDATE LAST WEEK. Not a coincidence

That's a lot of defensiveness for nothing.

Advice has not changed.

Do not install Hardware Driver Updates for non-Microsoft hardware from
Microsoft. They did not create nor do they support third party products
such as your video card, etc. I don't care if they come to your house and
offer it to you in person with proof of every conceivable manner - it's
probably not worth it. To many people have downloaded and installed
hardware drivers from Microsoft's web sites/automatic updates for
non-Microsoft products and had trouble over the years PLUS it just doesn't
make sense. Most people get their assistance and updates/parts from those
who created the original part - because those who created the original part
know about it better than others in most cases. No difference here. Not to
mention if you knew the process one goes through to get a driver listed -
you'd know that likely by the time that driver makes it through said
process - other issues have been found/fixed and there is often a new driver
out.

Sony - although they put together the laptop - did not make your video card
either. By your own (finally) admission - nVidia did. www.nvidia.com -->
download drivers and get the driver for your video card from them. It was
not Sony's fault either - nor are they actually responsible for what
happened to you. They too get drivers for their nVidia video cards from
(you guessed it) nVidia and they also (sooner or later) stop getting them
from nVidia and/or stay a few versions behind (working on the 'if it is
working, don't fix it' principle.) You should probably (as well) work off
that principle.

IF you really need the driver (and you probably should get it now) - then
you probably should get it from the manufacturer of the chipset of the card
itself: nVidia.

Visit the video card manufacturer's support/download web page and download
the latest version of the driver for your video device and your OS and
install it. Then change your resolution and video refresh rate to the
monitor in questsions native format.

Your other option - sorry I did not mention this before - roll back the
driver.

No one said it was a coincidence - in fact - I all but said it wasn't and
told you the driver you chose to get from Microsoft caused the issue most
likely and to never do that again. ;-P

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP