From: VanMan on
Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office 2007,
it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've been
direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of updates
had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed. It's
KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On my
desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my laptop.
Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update being
installed even though Windows itself says it is.

Any ideas how I can either disable it from being among the updates to be
installed from here on out or fix this error?
From: pattycake on
I'm having the same problem. Anyone who can help, please?

From: mbear5812 on
I've been trying to figure this one out myself. Been trying and trying to get
it to work. It just keeps stopping in the middle of the install. I always go
directly to the download site for office updates because you have to check
mark the agreement. This one is having a major problem tho. I'm on VISTA
Would someone from Microsoft please FIX THIS.

From: Bickford Schmeckler on
This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup, so MS isn't going to see it.

"mbear5812" <mbear5812(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:
: I've been trying to figure this one out myself. Been trying and trying to
get
: it to work. It just keeps stopping in the middle of the install. I always
go
: directly to the download site for office updates because you have to check
: mark the agreement. This one is having a major problem tho. I'm on VISTA
: Would someone from Microsoft please FIX THIS.
:
: "pattycake" wrote:
:
: > I'm having the same problem. Anyone who can help, please?
: >
: >
: > "VanMan" wrote:
: >
: > > Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office
2007,
: > > it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've
been
: > > direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of
updates
: > > had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed.
It's
: > > KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On
my
: > > desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my
laptop.
: > > Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update
being
: > > installed even though Windows itself says it is.
: > >

From: Bry914 on

VanMan;1695225 Wrote:
> Every time Windows Update wants to update my Microsoft Home and Office
> 2007,
> it gives me a Code 646 error that it cannot install. Since then, I've
> been
> direct downloading/installing said updates, but the latest round of
> updates
> had one item not able to be installed or not recognized as installed.
> It's
> KB982331, "Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System." On
> my
> desktop, I am able to install it on direct download, but not on my
> laptop.
> Also, the Windows Update on my desktop doesn't recognize the update
> being
> installed even though Windows itself says it is.
>
> Any ideas how I can either disable it from being among the updates to
> be
> installed from here on out or fix this error?

My weird solution:

Disconnect from internet and do autoinstall from windows update in
control panel and not manual update.

I always have problems with updates and have to manually do about half.
Nothing was working for me on this one: manual install (running and
saving to desktop then install), disconnect and manual installs, turn
off UAC and manual install. However disconnect and autoupdate worked AND
THAT NEVER WORKS for me.

GOODLUCK!

--
Bry914