From: Dave Peterson on
Verizon.net is my ISP, but they've stopped carrying newsgroups a while ago. I
connect directly to the MSServers to post here.

I think the main problem will be if MS sends out remove group command. I don't
know if others servers will respect those requests.

I've read in other forums that at least one admin will of another newsserver
will respect the request and remove the newsgroups. (It may have been
eternal-september, but I don't recall for sure.)

So for me, finding a replacement newsserver (cheap, preferably free) that still
carries these groups would be the challenge. (I don't like the web based google
groups any better than the web based MS forums/Answers.)

I would expect that most people (non-regulars) would migrate to the MS hosted
answers forum just to avoid costs/aggrevation. And traffic will diminish (I bet
significantly).

BTW, I think MS changed their limit to 90 days a year or more ago. They may
have even cut it to 30 days. But I agree, if I'm looking for something more
than a day or two old, I'll use google groups.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Dave Peterson on
This:

I've read in other forums that at least one admin will of another newsserver
will respect the request and remove the newsgroups. (It may have been
eternal-september, but I don't recall for sure.)

Should have been:

I've read in another forum that at least one admin of another newsserver will
respect the requests and remove the newsgroups. (It may have been

--

Dave Peterson
From: Harlan Grove on
Dave Peterson <peter...(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote...
>Verizon.net is my ISP, but they've stopped carrying newsgroups a while ago..  I
>connect directly to the MSServers to post here.

OK. Odd that your response to which I'm responding here carries the
tag

>I think the main problem will be if MS sends out remove group command.  I don't
>know if others servers will respect those requests.

Didn't work for microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions, that is, if
MSFT tried doing so when they replaced that newsgroup with
microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions.

I don't mind Google Groups because it provides a tree view of article-
response threads. MSFT's web format is much less usable, at least for
me.

Who knows? Maybe this'll breath new life into comp.apps.spreadsheets.
Doubt it, though.
From: Peter T on
"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
> Dave Peterson <peter...(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>>Just testing to see if I can post to MS Servers.
>
> There's a BIG difference between posting to the microsoft.public.*
> newsgroups generally vs posting to them specifically on
> msnews.microsoft.com nntp servers. Microsoft has pulled the plug on
> their own msnews.microsoft.com servers, but as long as ISPs and Google
> Groups continue to support the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, they
> won't disappear.

I think that will depend on what cancel notices, if any, MS send out and if
the ISPs observe them.

If this message arrives it means msnews.microsoft.com is still working, 'cos
that's the account in my OE I'm using!

Regards,
Peter T

From: GS on
Peter T formulated on Tuesday :
> "Harlan Grove" wrote in message
>> Dave Peterson <peter...(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>>>Just testing to see if I can post to MS Servers.
>>
>> There's a BIG difference between posting to the microsoft.public.*
>> newsgroups generally vs posting to them specifically on
>> msnews.microsoft.com nntp servers. Microsoft has pulled the plug on
>> their own msnews.microsoft.com servers, but as long as ISPs and Google
>> Groups continue to support the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, they
>> won't disappear.
>
> I think that will depend on what cancel notices, if any, MS send out and if
> the ISPs observe them.
>
> If this message arrives it means msnews.microsoft.com is still working, 'cos
> that's the account in my OE I'm using!
>
> Regards,
> Peter T

Hi Peter,
Just a note to confirm that I have switched reading all my news groups
through news.e-s.org, and so is where I access this NG. Seems to be
working normal.

regards,

--
Garry