From: Dave Peterson on
Just testing to see if I can post to MS Servers.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Gary''s Student on
On the web, we are living on borrowed time.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201003

From: T. Valko on
You would think that MS would have been more specific as to when they're
going to stop supporting these ngs (what time of day?)

How will we know when the "plug has been pulled" ? Will we just get a "can
not connect to server" message? Will we be able to connect to the server but
just won't be able to post?

Here's the url to the web interface for the ngs that I sometimes use:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?

Can you see any kind of announcement on that page that tells us the ngs are
about to close and provides a link to the new forums?

I'm beginning to think that MS can't do anything right.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Dave Peterson on
Maybe it's a reprieve from the governor? <vbg>

I didn't see any notification, but my guess (and it's only a guess) is that
sometime when you're refreshing the list of messages or posting a message
directly to the MSServers, it'll fail.

That will serve as the prior notification that you want <I crack me up!>.

ps.

I'm not sure when (or if) other newsservers will stop carrying the
microsoft.public.* newsgroups, but until they do, you may want to check the
traffic there.

I've signed up for 3 free (I'm cheap) newsservers.
news.aioe.org (some limits, like: 25 posts per day))
news.eternal-september.org (http://www.eternal-september.org to read about it)
news.albasani.net

I know I had to register with the bottom two. I don't remember with aioe.org
(it's been a long time).

But the community bridge by Jochen Kalmbach works pretty darn nice!
Ron de Bruin has some notes here:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/nntpbridge.htm

If you can use a newsreader (are you blocked at work???), you may not notice too
much of a difference!

--

Dave Peterson
From: Harlan Grove on
Dave Peterson <peter...(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>Just testing to see if I can post to MS Servers.

There's a BIG difference between posting to the microsoft.public.*
newsgroups generally vs posting to them specifically on
msnews.microsoft.com nntp servers. Microsoft has pulled the plug on
their own msnews.microsoft.com servers, but as long as ISPs and Google
Groups continue to support the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, they
won't disappear.

Consider: there are still postings to
microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions (note only 3 periods). They
just don't go through the msnews.microsoft.com servers. I'd note that
it appears you posted through a Verizon account, and I'm reading and
responding to it through Google Groups.

This is the strength of USENET/NNPT. It was meant to keep working even
if a country or even a continent or two sank into the ocean. As long
as ISPs retain microsoft.public.* newsgroups in their NNTP servers'
newsgroups lists, it'll remain possible to continue to use them. In
the short term the only thing that won't be possible is accessing them
through msnews.microsoft.com.

That said, the one drawback to ISP-hosted newsgroups is latency. ISPs
tend to delete newsgroup messages after a short period of time, as
short as 2 days on some, as long as a few months on others, but there
won't be 12 months or more of postings like there was on
msnews.microsoft.com servers. Google Groups remains the best archive
of old postings.