From: SC Tom on

"Brian V" <BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> And do you have to put the BIOS onto a diskette? Can it be done by usb,
> dvd-rom or anything else? Are disks more stable in theis context?

It can be done from within Windows, depending on the BIOS manufacturer and
the method they allow.

I'll tell you a true story, and you decide if you want to risk it or not:

I've been flashing my BIOS for quite a long time now, but only when the new
BIOS had a new addition that I needed for what I was wanting to do. Most of
them involved updating to a faster CPU, and needing a new BIOS to be able to
do it. I've done probably 15-20 boards over the years without a hitch.

About two years ago, I was looking to put a faster AMD in my ASUS MB, and
needed the newer BIOS in order for it to be recognized correctly. I updated
from rev11.5 to rev12.3 (let's say) with no problem. But I figured I'd go
ahead and bring it up to rev14.1 just in case I needed its properties
sometime in the future, even though all I needed at the moment was rev12.3.
After the first flash to 12.3, I had no problems bringing the PC back up,
and having it recognize the new CPU. After a couple of days of making sure
everything was fine, I went ahead and flashed to rev14.1. I followed the
same method as before, backing up my old BIOS before proceeding, shutting
down my AV and firewall, etc. All went well until I rebooted. Uh-oh, no
boot. It got to the POST screen and went no further. I tried clearing the
CMOS by pulling the battery- no joy. Then I remembered that ASUS has a
"Crash-Free BIOS," meaning that I could (supposedly) boot from the original
driver CD, and write the original BIOS back to the board. I must have tried
booting and re-flashing from the CD 4 or 5 times with no success whatsoever.
I was very bummed, believe me. Then when I was about to say screw it and buy
a new board, the CD "took" and I was able to recover back to rev11.5, which
was what came with it originally. I then flashed to 12.3 again with no
problem and stayed there.

Now, I'm not condoning or urging anyone to flash their BIOS, but if it's
necessary for an upgrade you feel you need, then you'll have to decide
whether you want to try it or not, or to let a "pro" attempt it, with no
guarantee that it'll work for him either. Is the upgrade worth the risk?
Your decision. If everything is running well right now, then it may not be
worth the risk of having to buy a new board, or sending your board off to
the manufacturer to fix (which would probably be weeks to do, and cost near
as much as a new board).

Like I said, I had done a number of flashes with no problems at all, but the
one flash that went bad kinda cured me of doing it again any time soon. But
if I have to, I will try again, and odds are, won't have any problems. But
the doubt is there now. . .
--
SC Tom

From: 20100206 on
Yes 64 bit machine will recognize more than 4 GB. The systems maker are
defrauding its customers by saying a 32 bit machine can recognize 4 GB (in
fact one vendor in London was telling a customer that its 32 bit machines
can recognize 8 GB ram!).

Also please make sure that the vendor is not trying to fool you to make you
buy more rams for your 32 bit machines because even if you can fit extra
memory (I doubt you can but just in case ....) the Windows OS won't
recognize it and very likely to keep crashing.

I don't know why HP keeps selling 32 bit machines with more than 4 GB memory
capacity! Mind boggles!

hth

From: 20100206 on

"DL" <notvalid(a)spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> According to google max memory is 4gb

You are a jobless scrounger and so talking rubbish. GET A JOB BOY!

From: SC Tom on

> [...]
> the
> video software I have. Most can run well on what I have. The problems I
> can
> infer and see right now, if/when I get heavily into some of these programs
> is
> what I am trying to prepare for. If certain people ask me to work on their
> stuff, I don't see the problem. i am not advertising though. I still have
> work to do, if I get it out for work. :-)
>
> Eg: With making/recording music. I can make a song from start to finish. I
> am getting better at the mastering of the whole song. I can do it, but to
> get
> good takes a lot of years. Now the mroe tweaking I do the more it's
> lagging
> the system. I do each individual sound. and thent he whole thing. I'm
> getting
> better and the system is slowing down. More RAM will help, I'll get it in
> the
> short term. But I can only put so much in there since my system cannot
> handle
> "an orchestra". Most songs do not require "an orchestra", but you make a
> few.
> And you understand how to make "an orchestra", if that is your thing.
> Because
> that could be your legacy or that is the one or two 7-12 minute tracks
> that
> are big.......You go big or you go home.......Too much at once is bad. You
> learn to mix it all properly and give each sound it's place. Sometimes I
> just
> have to export it, since it will run choppy. I use some midi, but I like
> dealing with audio files (usually .wav). They are more demanding on the
> computer, but certain editing features are only available in non-midi. So
> have to use heavy audio files with my current set-up.
>
> Having all the files on the hard-drive an dnot the dvd helps speed
> everything up. The lag can be bad with dvd's. Too choppy and unrealistic
> for
> playback.
>
> With the music example above, I will apply it to the future with video
> editing. It's even bigger most times. Add in all those effects,
> transitions
> and rendering. I'm not professional, but I am trying to learn....So I'm
> trying to figure out how far I can go. AVCHD files (hi-def) need lots,
> going
> in as those files, or you have to compress them, and export the high
> quality
> as you like. I need to avoid compressing as much as possible. But PLENTY
> of
> professionals compress imports and export the high quality as required.
>
> I gotta say I checked Corel Draw 13 or 14 (the newest one out on
> corel.com).
> The imaging programs don't seem to take up as much as music or video. But

Another thing you need to consider is if you go to a 64-bit OS, will the
program(s) you are using now run in it? If you're not going to upgrade to a
64-bit version of these programs, there's no real advantage to upgrading to
a 64-bit OS. A 32-bit program will still run as a 32-bit program no matter
what OS you use.
--
SC Tom

From: Daave on
Brian V wrote:

> Why would the manufacturer put an updated BIOS on their site, though?

To fix an old problem or to add new functionality. If there was a
compelling reason to update your particular BIOS, you would already
know. If not, then, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: ports are not shown
Next: PSU power consumption