From: Daave on
SC Tom wrote:
> "Brian V" <BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> And do you have to put the BIOS onto a diskette? Can it be done by
>> usb, dvd-rom or anything else? Are disks more stable in theis
>> context?
>
> It can be done from within Windows, depending on the BIOS
> manufacturer and the method they allow.

True. But I have read reports where people have hosed their systems
using an interface while running Windows. Depends on the BIOS, I
suppose.

Again, to Brian, although it is possible to do this while running
Windows, it still has nothing to with Windows, per se.

And yes, it is possible to create a bootable CD instead of a bootable
floppy.

> I'll tell you a true story, and you decide if you want to risk it or
> not:
> I've been flashing my BIOS for quite a long time now, but only when
> the new BIOS had a new addition that I needed for what I was wanting
> to do. Most of them involved updating to a faster CPU, and needing a
> new BIOS to be able to do it. I've done probably 15-20 boards over
> the years without a hitch.
> About two years ago, I was looking to put a faster AMD in my ASUS MB,
> and needed the newer BIOS in order for it to be recognized correctly.
> I updated from rev11.5 to rev12.3 (let's say) with no problem. But I
> figured I'd go ahead and bring it up to rev14.1 just in case I needed
> its properties sometime in the future, even though all I needed at
> the moment was rev12.3. After the first flash to 12.3, I had no
> problems bringing the PC back up, and having it recognize the new
> CPU. After a couple of days of making sure everything was fine, I
> went ahead and flashed to rev14.1. I followed the same method as
> before, backing up my old BIOS before proceeding, shutting down my AV
> and firewall, etc. All went well until I rebooted. Uh-oh, no boot. It
> got to the POST screen and went no further. I tried clearing the CMOS
> by pulling the battery- no joy. Then I remembered that ASUS has a
> "Crash-Free BIOS," meaning that I could (supposedly) boot from the
> original driver CD, and write the original BIOS back to the board. I
> must have tried booting and re-flashing from the CD 4 or 5 times with
> no success whatsoever. I was very bummed, believe me. Then when I was
> about to say screw it and buy a new board, the CD "took" and I was
> able to recover back to rev11.5, which was what came with it
> originally. I then flashed to 12.3 again with no problem and stayed
> there.
> Now, I'm not condoning or urging anyone to flash their BIOS, but if
> it's necessary for an upgrade you feel you need, then you'll have to
> decide whether you want to try it or not, or to let a "pro" attempt
> it, with no guarantee that it'll work for him either. Is the upgrade
> worth the risk? Your decision. If everything is running well right
> now, then it may not be worth the risk of having to buy a new board,
> or sending your board off to the manufacturer to fix (which would
> probably be weeks to do, and cost near as much as a new board).
>
> Like I said, I had done a number of flashes with no problems at all,
> but the one flash that went bad kinda cured me of doing it again any
> time soon. But if I have to, I will try again, and odds are, won't
> have any problems. But the doubt is there now. . .

Once bitten, twice shy. ;-)

From: SC Tom on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Brian V wrote:
>
>> Why would the manufacturer put an updated BIOS on their site, though?
>
> To fix an old problem or to add new functionality. If there was a
> compelling reason to update your particular BIOS, you would already know.
> If not, then, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)

Unless you're a mechanical engineer, in which case it's, "If it ain't broke,
redesign it!" :-)
--
SC Tom

First  |  Prev  |