From: myfathersson on
Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver
which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed
some Windows Update a year or more ago.

I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every
WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this
update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work' After
that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has
failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue.

Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows
Update has screwed up: Does anyone know if Microsoft has any
workaround yet please?
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Roll back the driver. Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.

From: myfathersson on
On Apr 10, 2:14 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Roll back the driver.  Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
> device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.
>
> myfathersson wrote:
> > Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver
> > which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed
> > some Windows Update a year or more ago.
>
> > I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every
> > WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this
> > update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work'  After
> > that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has
> > failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue.
>
> > Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows
> > Update has screwed up: Does anyone know if Microsoft has any
> > workaround yet please?

Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 IS the driver on the manufacturer's site
which is screwed up by the WU
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
myfathersson wrote:
>>> Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver
>>> which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed
>>> some Windows Update a year or more ago.
>>
>>> I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every
>>> WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this
>>> update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work' After
>>> that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has
>>> failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue.
>>
>>> Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows
>>> Update has screwed up: Does anyone know if Microsoft has any
>>> workaround yet please?
>>
>> Roll back the driver. Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
>> device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.
>
> Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 IS the driver on the manufacturer's site
> which is screwed up by the WU

Then roll back the driver and don't install the updated version again.
From: myfathersson on
On Apr 11, 9:16 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Roll back the driver. Then get any /needed/ driver updates only from the
> >> device or computer manufacturers' download page, NOT Windows Update.
>
> > Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 IS the driver on the manufacturer's site
> > which is screwed up by the WU
>
> Then roll back the driver and don't install the updated version again.

I kinda know not to install a driver which doesnt work or which causes
an exclamation mark in Device Manager. Trouble is that there is
nothing to roll back to: This is the 2006 driver which came with the
original software. Gateway has the updated one to make users feel they
are doing somehthing but apparently they wont believe that the new
driver wont work and if you insist on telling them, they just refer
you to Conexant BECAUSE THEY KNOW that Conexant doesnt have any
customer support. The original driver was a Conexant one called an
AC97 which is screwed up by some Microsoft security update. This is
why Gateway wont help. WU screwed up the sound. Apparently it WAS
possible to get sound to work with some driver or other but even that
one was screwed up by the next Security update which also said 'there
is a problem with this update and Conexant sound drivers'