From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"antioch" <antioch(a)home.com> schrieb:

> I cleared System Restore on 25 Nov prior to my three monthly system
> clean-up - always do it after backup of files etc. I have not used/run
> System Restore since the last big clean-up in August.

Hm, could you explain your "clean-up" methods a bit closer please?
Are you deleting any $NTUninstall folders for instance? Are you
"cleaning" the "$hf_mig$" folder too? Are you "cleaning" manually
or are you using a tool for that? Which one?

> With any luck, attached is what you and Mow are wanting to see.
>
> [KB920213.log]

I haven't found something abnormal in the log file. You have rebooted
Windows in the meantime and KB920213 is still reoffered?

Bye,
Freudi
From: antioch on
Reply contextualised/intertwined
Hello Freudi

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
> "antioch" <antioch(a)home.com> schrieb:
>
>> I cleared System Restore on 25 Nov prior to my three monthly system
>> clean-up - always do it after backup of files etc. I have not used/run
>> System Restore since the last big clean-up in August.
>
> Hm, could you explain your "clean-up" methods a bit closer please?

I clean out all TIF/Cookies/both of the main 'temp folders'/unwantedActive X
etc.
I run DiskCleanup, then defrag.
I clear the System Restore and set a new restore point.
I clear all unwanted email from ALL folders - then compact.
I do a full backup of folders and files, address book and favourites to
disk/s.
Then I download 'outside help' as I call it:
Symantec/Kaspersky/eTrust AV free scanners.
I also download:
Spyware Detector
Spyware Doctor
Spybot Search and Destroy
XoftSpySE
Trend Micro
AdWare Alert(but never again)
I already have AdAware in-house, plus my ISP's own AV and antispyware
scanners, plus MS Mal Software Remover.
All sites are updated after download

I start here and work through the whole procedure
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
Plus I add in one or two other little tweaks as per MVP sites etc.
I do this off-line, one at a time and with AV/Firewall and any other
antispy/malware progs disabled.
It takes time, but worth it I think.
If any probs show/found I print the info or print screen.
On completion, I delete any prog that found nothing.
I then go back to sort out problems that any Prog. might have found.
Seekmo and 180 solutions were sorted in the end.
Nothing else showed. I was a bit disappointed that none of the scanners
found anything about Romemaster.com which is currently hijacking the browser
in Google and Yahoo.
No solution has been poster as of last weekend.

> Are you deleting any $NTUninstall folders for instance? Are you
> "cleaning" the "$hf_mig$" folder too? Are you "cleaning" manually or are
> you using a tool for that? Which one?

No - I have never deleted any of those blue coloured uninstalled update
files. Like the Registry, I know nothing about them so stay away.

>> With any luck, attached is what you and Mow are wanting to see.
[KB920213.log]
> I haven't found something abnormal in the log file. You have rebooted
> Windows in the meantime and KB920213 is still reoffered?

Well at least I appear to have found the right .log - one step forward.
I dont know if your finding nothing is good news or bad news :-).
Yes, KB920213 is still on offer :-(
Just in case you ask, ever since the horrendeous download and install probs.
back in April/May, I no longer download from WU Home site. I go there for
the scan of my system(if I can get into the Home Page), get what is on
offer, print out, and then download to disk all updates from their
respective MS site. I download with AV/Firewall off. Once all are
downloaded, I disconnect from the net, then write all the updates to disk,
install one at a time in the order as presented on the Home Page, with no
security progs running, and reboot whether or not there is a suggestion to
do so.
I think I have covered all on this point.
I will do to this KB what Mow suggested for the other one - it seems that it
can be deleted without causing problems to any other update/prog or
otherwise that one can be warned about.
Do you agree???
It is strange that there does not appear to be any other poster reporting a
re-offer on this KB.

> Bye,
> Freudi

Thank you for your continued interest