From: iamneo on
JB,

I noticed your searching and posting about this issue on the web... and
finally came across your solution..

Many thanks, as this stupid update took down my windows 2003 server... Not
wanting to lose a whole week of clients data, I was so glad to see this
solution..

I thank you... for saving my server...

I only wish Microsoft would own up to issues like this one. How an update
can take down systems is beyond me.

Interesting is that this kb925902 update only killed one of my 2003 servers.
Of course it had to kill the one that had the most important info...

Thanks again....

Neo... June 22, 2010

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
Neo,

Why are you only now installing a security update from 2007?

The corresponding KB article mentions an issue with some printer drivers which
can cause a system crash, but nothing about failures to boot. If they were
common, it is likely that the problem would be documented.

In more general terms, when an update causes a system to fail the most common
causes are an already existing malware infection or faulty device drivers or
other third-party kernel-mode components (such as antivirus software).
Unfortunately there are too many possible combinations of hardware and software
out there for Microsoft to test updates on all of them.

(Once in a while the update really is at fault, of course, in which case
Microsoft usually withdraw the update until it can be corrected.)

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com